The Valpo swimming program hosted a tri-meet Saturday afternoon at the Valparaiso Aquatic Center, welcoming Green Bay and Youngstown State to town. Senior Dominic May (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central) posted the teams’ top individual finishes with a pair of second-place showings.
How It Happened
- May touched the wall second in both of the freestyle sprints on Saturday. The senior recorded a time of 21.44 in the 50 free and 46.96 in the 100 free.
- Senior Billy Bennett (Libertyville, Ill./Libertyville) came home third in the 100 breast with a time of 59.98, while the 400 free relay squad of senior Derek Eidson (Ventura, Calif./Ventura), sophomore Brett Little (Princeton, Iowa/North Scott), junior Adam Chwieros (Lake Villa, Ill./Grayslake North) and May placed third as well.
- Eidson led Valpo in a pair of events, pacing the Beacon contingent in the 200 free (1:50.58) and the 100 fly (54.21).
- Sophomore Drew Wilson (Sugar Grove, Ill./Aurora Central Catholic) was also the highest-placing Valpo finisher in two events, leading the way in the 200 back (2:07.04) and the 200 IM (2:04.08).
- On the women’s side, Valpo had a pair of individuals register third-place finishes. Senior Chiara Robinson (Castle Pines, Colo./Rock Canyon) placed third in the 50 free with a time of 25.51 and freshman Haley Hume (Ballwin, Mo./Marquette) notched a third-place showing in the 200 back with a time of 2:14.48.
- Freshman Bridget Pollard (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield South) led Valpo in a trio of individual events Saturday. The rookie posted times of 2:19.26 in the 200 fly, 1:02.82 in the 100 fly and 2:22.50 in the 200 IM.
- Hume swam a team-best 2:04.26 in the 200 free to go with her 200 back performance, while fellow freshman Sara Strauss (Spring Lake, Mich./Spring Lake) posted the team’s fastest time in the 100 breast (1:10.21) and the 200 breast (2:36.59).
- Valpo’s 200 medley relay squad of sophomore Kenzie Conn (Celina, Ohio/Celina), Strauss, Pollard and Robinson swam to a third-place finish as well.
Valpo will step away from competition next week before its big mid-season meet, heading to the SIU Invitiational in Carbondale, Ill. Nov. 11-13.