The Valpo women’s and men’s swimming squads combined to earn 18 event victories on Friday evening at Rose-Hulman as their spring season continued. The women swept all 14 events on their way to claiming the dual meet victory, while the men touched the wall first in four events.
How It Happened
- Nine different Beacon women’s swimmers took top honors in the 12 individual events, highlighted by three swimmers who picked up two event wins each.
- Haley Hume (Ballwin, Mo./Marquette) got things started in the individual events with a first-place showing in the 1000 free, posting a time of 11:39.18. Later in the meet, Hume took first with a time of 56.95 in the 100 free.
- Sara Strauss (Spring Lake, Mich./Spring Lake) showcased her versatility, claiming the event wins in the 50 free (25.83) and the 200 breast (2:32.81).
- Bridget Pollard (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield South) joined her fellow freshmen in Hume and Strauss with a pair of victories. Pollard’s top placements came in the 200 fly (2:17.35) and the 200 IM (2:18.74).
- In all, nine of the individual event wins went to Valpo rookies. Other freshmen women who earned top honors included Dot Chislett (Stillwater, Minn./Stillwater Area), who won the 200 free with a time of 2:06.74, Laurel Yates (Mount Vernon, Ky./Rockcastle County), who touched the wall in the 500 free in 5:49.09 to pick up the win, and Morgan Allison (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West), who claimed the 100 fly with a time of 1:04.79.
- Sophomore Kenzie Conn (Celina, Ohio/Celina) took the laurels in the 100 back with a time of 1:03.18. Senior Chiara Robinson (Castle Pines, Colo./Rock Canyon) came home in 1:12.16 in the 100 breast to pick up the win, and junior Sophie Morelock (Milan, Mich./Milan) won the 200 back with a time of 2:16.35.
- Conn, Strauss, Pollard and Robinson swam to the win in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:55.04, while the quartet of Conn, Chislett, Hume and Robinson finished the 200 free relay in 1:45.79 to pick up the victory.
- On the men’s side, four different Beacons recorded event victories on Friday. Dominic May (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central) placed first in the 200 free with a time of 1:44.99, followed by a victory for Derek Eidson (Ventura, Calif./Ventura) in the 100 back with a time of 55.05.
- Senior Billy Bennett (Libertyville, Ill./Libertyville) claimed the 100 breast with a time of 1:00.48, and Ethan Welker (Clear Spring, Md./Saint James School) rounded out the event winners on the men’s side as he completed the 200 fly in 2:00.72.
- The women won the team scoring, 184-80, to earn their first dual meet victory of the year, while the Rose-Hulman men earned a 183-97 win.
Valpo completes a busy 24-hour stretch as the Beacons return right to the pool on Saturday for a dual meet at IUPUI. The first event is slated to begin at 11 a.m. CT.