Sophomore Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South) provided the Valparaiso University women’s tennis team with its first singles victory against a Horizon League opponent this season in Saturday’s 6-1 loss to Northern Kentucky.
How It Happened
- Wind notched the lone team point for Valpo (1-13, 0-4 Horizon) at No. 6 singles, downing Sierra Nellessen in straight sets 6-4, 6-3.
- Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie) competed in a tight match at No. 5 singles, but fell to Danielle Donahue 7-5, 6-3.
- Meg Modesto (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) incurred a 6-3, 6-3 defeat to Sydney Power at No. 3 singles, while Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview) had a close Set 2 but fell 6-2, 6-4 to Katja Dijanezevic at No. 4.
- The first singles match to finish was at No. 1, where Kathleen Hebble (Sellersburg, Ind. / Silver Creek) fell to Margita Sunjic 6-1, 6-1, followed by No. 2 singles, where Paige Heuer (Munster, Ind. / Munster) lost to Klara Skopac 6-2, 6-0.
- The Norse took the doubles point as Sunjic and Skopac topped Hebble and Heuer 6-4 at No. 1, then Danielle Donohue and Yasmine Xantos secured a 6-2 win over Sysouvanh and Morgan Paras (Indianapolis, Ind. / Bishop Chatard) at No. 3 to clinch it. No. 2 doubles went unfinished with Modesto and Wind even with Power and Nellessen 4-4.
Inside the Match
- Wind’s victory was her team-leading eighth of the season. She became the first Crusader to garner a Horizon League singles triumph since Modesto beat Detroit Mercy’s Valeryia Kulikovskay 6-0, 6-0 on April 17 of last season.
- This is the second consecutive season Wind has secured a victory against Northern Kentucky. A year ago, she prevailed in a three-set affair at No. 4 singles.
- Wind has eclipsed her season win total from 2015-16, her freshman campaign, by two victories. She has 14 career singles wins as only a sophomore.
The Crusaders round out the road trip on Sunday at noon CT as they visit Wright State.