The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team picked up wins at two singles spots on Tuesday at the Valpo Tennis Complex, but couldn’t corral the team triumph in a 5-2 loss to the Cougars of Chicago State. Meg Modesto (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) and Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South) provided the wins for the Crusaders.
How It Happened
- Modesto allowed her momentum from a successful weekend that featured a match-clinching victory over Green Bay to carry over to Tuesday night. She prevailed in three sets over Carynne Lloyd 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.
- Wind also needed three sets to capture her victory, beating Judit Aubets 6-1, 4-6, 6-3.
- Paige Heuer (Munster, Ind. / Munster) put together a competitive match at No. 2 singles, but lost on a tiebreak in Set 3. She dropped the first set 3-6, then took the second 6-1 before falling 6-7 (4) in the decisive stanza.
- The Crusaders lost in straight sets at No. 1, No. 4 and No. 5 singles and dropped all three doubles matches.
Inside the Match
- Wind notched her team-leading 11th singles victory of the year. She’s already the first Valpo player since 2005-06 to record a double-figure singles win total.
- Modesto upped her season win total to five with Tuesday’s victory.
- The Crusaders drop to 2-16, while the Cougars climb to 7-15.
The Crusaders continue the five-match homestand as they begin the last weekend of the regular season on Saturday, April 22 against Oakland. The match is slated to begin at 2 p.m. at the Valpo Tennis Complex.