The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team saw the program’s longest winning streak in 14 years come to an end with a 5-2 setback to Butler on Saturday at The Courts of Northwest Indiana. Sophomore Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) and freshman Allison McConnell (Westland, Mich. / Churchill) prevailed in their respective singles matches to highlight the day for the Brown & Gold.
How It Happened
- Olivia garnered a straight-set win over Lauryn Padgett at No. 2, triumphing 6-2, 6-2. The sophomore lifted her team-high season win total to seven.
- McConnell’s victory came 6-3, 6-2 over Veronika Bruetting at No. 5. The freshman was competing in her first collegiate singles match.
- Olivia and her older sister Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) teamed up for a 6-4 win at No. 1 doubles. They bested Butler’s top tandem of Natalie Boesing and Lauren Marx to extend their doubles winning streak to six and lift their season win total to eight.
- Claire’s doubles win was the 48th of her career, snapping a tie with Kate Evangelist (2003-2007) and moving the older Czerwonka into sole possession of fifth in program history.
- Valpo fell 7-5 at the No. 2 doubles spot, narrowly dropping the doubles point. Demi Jhaveri (Westlake, Ohio / Westlake) took her No. 6 singles match to a third set, but had to retire due to an injury.
Valpo (5-8) will begin Missouri Valley Conference play on Friday, April 2 at UNI at 3 p.m. in Cedar Falls, Iowa.