The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team started the season in style, topping Holy Cross (Ind.) 7-0 on a pleasant Saturday morning at the Valpo Tennis Complex. After enjoying the program’s winningest season since 2007 last spring, the Beacons started the new season on a high note by sweeping all six singles matches and three doubles matches en route to the win.
How It Happened
- Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) started her final season in dominant fashion, posting a “double bagel” against Helga Lopez of Holy Cross, winning the No. 1 singles match without dropping a game, 6-0, 6-0.
- The second singles player to finish was Claire’s sister Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy), who picked up a No. 2 singles match triumph while dropping just one game. She bested Anna Beer 6-1, 6-0.
- All of the other singles matches were also decided in straight sets. The third Valpo player to finish singles was Demi Jhaveri (Westlake, Ohio / Westlake), whose 6-1, 6-1 victory clinched the team victory.
- Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) polished off a 6-1, 6-3 win over Clara Ruediger at No. 3, while Mia Bertino (Lockport, Ill. / Joliet Catholic) and Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) started the season with triumphs at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, respectively.
- Before singles play got underway, the Beacons (1-0) vaulted ahead by winning the doubles point thanks to victories on all three doubles courts. A dominant season-opening showing in doubles saw Valpo drop just one game total over the three matches. The Czerwonka sisters were 6-1 winners at No. 1. The Schoolcraft/Tabanera combo notched a 6-0 win at No. 2 doubles, as did Jhaveri and Allison McConnell (Westland, Mich. / Churchill) at No. 3.
Inside the Match
- Claire’s singles win marked the 45th of her career, moving her into a tie for eighth in program history with Monika Danko (2001-2005).
- Claire’s doubles win marked the 53rd of her career as she moved to within one doubles victory of tying for second in program history and within two of tying the program record for career doubles wins, held by Mara Sonkin (55).
Valpo will compete in tournament play for the first time this season next week, as the three-day Redbird Invite hosted by Illinois State will commence on Friday, Sept. 17 in Normal, Ill.