The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team opened the spring season in style by besting IUPUI 5-2 on Saturday at The Courts of Northwest Indiana. The Beacons were victorious in the top two doubles matches and on the top four singles courts.
How It Happened
- After IUPUI prevailed in the first doubles match to finish at No. 3, Valpo wrestled the point away from the Jaguars by coming away victorious on the top two courts, with both matches featuring a 6-4 score.
- The top doubles tandem of Olivia and Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) finalized their win over Ochalik-Grubb shortly before Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) and Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) capped their victory to clinch the doubles point.
- Olivia made quick work of Ochalik at the top singles spot, rolling to a 6-2, 6-2 win in the first match to finish.
- IUPUI evened the team score at two by picking up wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, but Tabanera put the Beacons back in front when she polished off a 6-4, 6-1 triumph at No. 2.
- The victory that clinched the team “W” came courtesy of Mia Bertino (Lockport, Ill. / Joliet Catholic), who was on the right side of a 6-3, 7-5 decision at No. 4. The final match to finish saw Demi Jhaveri (Westlake, Ohio / Westlake) outlast her No. 3 singles opponent 6-4, 7-6(7).
Inside the Match
- Valpo improved to 12-14 all-time against IUPUI. The Beacons have now won back-to-back matchups including a 6-1 victory in January 2020 in Indianapolis.
- Claire had lost to Ochalik-Grubb in the 2020 match at No. 1 doubles alongside Schoolcraft, so the victory for the Czerwonka sisters avenged that defeat.
- Claire earned her 60th career doubles win, becoming the first player in program history to reach that threshold.
- Olivia garnered her 33rd career doubles win, moving to within three of cracking the program’s all-time Top 10.
- Olivia is now within one singles victory of entering the Top 10 after picking up her 37th on Saturday.
- Tabanera is two singles wins away from 30 for her career after achieving No. 28 in this match.
Valpo (3-0) will continue a stretch of three straight home matches to begin the spring season on Saturday, Jan. 22 at 2 p.m. vs. SIUE at The Courts of Northwest Indiana.