For the second time in as many days, the Valparaiso University women’s tennis team faced off with one of the top teams in the Division-II nation, as the program’s spring trip continued with a 5-2 setback at D-II No. 10 Lynn on Thursday morning. Olivia and Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) returned to the win column at No. 1 doubles, while Olivia and Mia Bertino (Lockport, Ill. / Joliet Catholic) both prevailed in singles competition.
How It Happened
- A day after their 12-match winning streak came to an end, Claire and Olivia rebounded at No. 1 doubles with a one-sided victory over Karyna Bihel and Jacqueline Wagner. The sisters dropped just one game in a 6-1 triumph. The Fighting Knights won on the other two doubles courts to take the doubles point.
- Olivia also got back to her winning ways in singles competition. She cruised to a 6-1 win in the opening set against Lynn’s Zofia Podbiol at No. 1 singles before grinding out a tight 7-5 victory in the second set.
- Valpo’s other victory came on the No. 5 singles court, where Bertino bested Barbora Cibakova in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1.
- For the second straight day, Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) faced an opponent ranked in the top 25 nationally in NCAA Division-II. This time, she battled No. 23 Giorgia Pigato.
Inside the Match
- Olivia won her 41st career doubles match, climbing into a tie for ninth in program history with Paige Heuer (2013-2017).
- Claire extended her program record by garnering her 68th career doubles win.
- Olivia owns 40 career singles wins, a total that ranks 10th in program history and is four away from ninth.
- Bertino achieved her 16th career singles win and won for the second time in the last three matches after also picking up a win vs. NIU on Sunday.
The Beacons (6-7) will close out the three-match spring trip on Friday at 11 a.m. Central Time by visiting Florida International in Miami, Fla.