The esteemed Valparaiso University tennis careers of Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) and Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) were celebrated on Sunday morning prior to the home finale against UNI at The Courts of Northwest Indiana. And when the match came to a close, there was reason for further celebration as the Beacons dispatched visiting UNI 7-0 by winning all six singles matches plus the doubles point.
How It Happened
- The first doubles match to finish came at No. 3, where Demi Jhaveri and Allison McConnell (Westland, Mich. / Churchill) cruised to a 6-2 win over Emma Carr and Issa Sullivan.
- Valpo incurred a rare setback at No. 1 doubles in a close 6-4 match, but the Czerwonka sisters were picked up by their teammates at No. 2 doubles. Amanda Tabanera and Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) came through with a 6-4 victory in the final doubles match to finish to ensure that the Beacons would corral the doubles point.
- At No. 1 singles, Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) wasted no time in sweeping Darta Dalecka 6-3, 6-0.
- Claire had a successful Senior Day in singles play, beating Lorena Cardosa 6-1, 6-4 at No. 2 in the final home match of her illustrious collegiate career.
- For the second consecutive day, Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) was victorious at No. 3 singles. This time, she accounted for the win that clinched the team victory, defeating Emma Carr 6-1, 6-3.
- Schoolcraft also enjoyed a successful Senior Day, beating Issa Sullivan 6-1, 6-1 at No. 6 in her final home match after four years representing the Brown & Gold.
- The No. 4 singles match featured a pair of tight sets, but Demi Jhaveri (Westlake, Ohio / Westlake) came away with a straight-set win. She edged Andrijana Brkic 6-4, 7-6(1).
- The final match to finish was the lone three-set affair of the morning, as Mia Bertino (Lockport, Ill. / Joliet Catholic) rebounded from a Set-1 setback to top Thaissa Moreira 1-6, 7-6(4), 10-6.
Inside the Match
- This marked Valpo’s first 7-0 victory in a conference match since April 14, 2007, a 7-0 triumph against UMKC in Mid-Continent Conference action.
- Claire extended her singles winning streak to four and picked up the 56th singles victory of her career. She is fifth in program history, two wins away from moving into a tie for third.
- Olivia secured her 42nd career triumph in singles play, a number that ranks 10th in program history, three away from a tie for ninth. Tabanera obtained her 39th career singles win, approaching a spot in the program record book of her own.
- Valpo’s No. 2 and No. 3 doubles teams both flipped the scripts on losses to UNI last season. Both Beacon tandems faced pairs that featured one of the same players and one player who was different from last season.
- Valpo has already clinched its highest win total since 2007, when the Beacons won 11 matches. Sunday represented the team’s ninth win of the season.
The Beacons (9-9, 1-1 MVC) will finish the regular season with three straight road matches, starting on Saturday, April 9 at Missouri State at 1 p.m.