The Valparaiso University cross country program took part in the Missouri Valley Conference Championships on Friday morning at LaVern Gibson Championship Cross Country Course in Terre Haute, Ind. Ellie Roeglin (Delafield, Wis. / Lake County Lutheran) paced the Valpo women, while the men were led by Evan Walda (Fort Wayne, Ind. / South Side).
How It Happened
- The Valpo women were paced by Roeglin, who finished the 6K in 23:35.4.
- Roeglin was followed by a tight pack of Beacons as three Valpo runners crossed the finish within five seconds of one another. Maranda Donohue (Delton, Mich. / Delton-Kellogg) led that group with a season best of 24:19, followed by Alina Worzella (Martinsville, Ind. / Martinsville) and Brianna Splaine (Sussex, Wis. / Arrowhead), who both finished in 24:24.
- In the men’s 8K, Walda led the way with a time of 25:14.0. He notched a top-30 finish, coming in 27th.
- Walda was followed by Simeon Ehm (Castle Rock, Colo. / Heritage), who finished second on the team and 31st overall with a time of 25:23.3.
- The next-best Beacon was Eric Carothers (Fishers, Ind. / Hamilton Southeastern) at 25:32.7 (37th), followed by Ignacio Veloz Bonilla (San Juan, P.R. / American Military Academy) with a time of 25:51.6 (44th).
- As a team, the Valpo men placed eighth of 11, finishing ahead of three teams this season after finishing ahead of one at last year’s championship meet. The Beacons topped UNI, Murray State and Evansville. On the women’s side, Valpo was 11th of 12.
Click here for women’s results, click here for men’s results.
The Beacons will compete in the NCAA Great Lakes Regional in Terre Haute on Friday, Nov. 11.