Valpo men’s swimming freshman Jackson Oostman (Aurora, Ill./Marmion Academy) earned a finals appearance Friday in the 400 IM, while the Beacons had a total of seven top-10 swims in program history on the third day of competition at the 2023 Mid-American Conference Championships in Oxford, Ohio.
How It Happened
- Oostman qualified for the ‘B’ final of the 400 IM on Friday with a prelim time of 4:06.76, which ranked him 15th in the field. He ended up coming home 16th in the evening final swim.
- Three Valpo freshmen cracked the program’s all-time top-10 in the prelims of the 100 fly on Friday. Freshman Tim Mai (St. Johns, Fla./Creekside) improved upon his fourth-fastest time in program history with a time of 51.19. Garrett Hoppman (Midland, Texas/Midland) touched the wall in 51.53 to move into sixth on Valpo’s all-time chart, while Luke Snider (Germantown, Tenn./Memphis University School) now ranks ninth with a time of 51.94.
- One day after cracking the program’s record book in the 50 free, freshman Anthony Martin (Bartlett, Ill./Bartlett) earned another spot among the all-time best with his prelim swim in the 200 free. Martin completed his swim in 1:43.87 and is sixth-fastest in program history in the event.
- While he already sat on the top-10 chart in the 100 breast, sophomore Brendan Stangeland (West Fargo, N.D./Sheyenne) moved up the list with his prelim time of 58.42 on Friday, moving him into a tie for seventh in program history.
- Freshman Dathan Wolf (Columbus, Ind./Columbus) covered his 100 back prelim in 52.23, fifth-fastest all-time by a Valpo swimmer.
- Wolf, Stangeland, Mai and Martin teamed up to post a time of 3:27.88 in Friday evening’s 400 medley relay, good for seventh in program history.
- Valpo sits in seventh place in the team standings with 73 points.
Valpo closes out the 2023 campaign with the final day of the MAC Championships on Saturday. Prelim swims begin at 9:30 a.m. CT, with event finals starting up at 5 p.m. CT.