The Valparaiso University men’s tennis team remained in Waco, Texas for a two-match day Saturday against Abilene Christian and Prairie View A&M. The Brown & Gold pulled off stellar 5-2 and 6-1 victories against the two schools, respectively.
How It Happened
- Three of Valpo’s singles victories against Abilene Christian came in straight sets, including 6-3, 6-4 wins from Brian Pecyna (Glen Ellyn, Ill./ Homeschooled) and Gabriel Carvajal (Pembroke Pines, Fla/ Broward Virtual School [Florida Atlantic]) and a 6-3, 6-2 victory from Daniel Langston (Ponca City, Okla./ Ponca City).
- Franklin Brozovich (Fort Gratiot, Mich./ Port Huron Northern) hung on to win his match 6-7, 6-3, 13-11.
- Valpo also swept the doubles competition, with partners Brandon Ancona (Belvidere, Ill./ Rockford Christian) and Pecyna, as well as duo Brozovich and Carvajal, each posting 6-2 wins.
- In the match against Prairie View, Andrej Kalenic (Belgrade, Serbia/ Kreativno Pero) posted a 6-1, 6-1 victory.
- Three seniors—Ancona, Carvajal, and Langston—as well as freshman Oscar Mendoza (Guayaquil, Ecuador/ Interamerican Academy) all won in straight sets as well.
- The Valpo doubles teams of Ancona/Pecyna and Brozovich/Carvajal won their doubles matches 6-1.
Inside the Matches
- The victories were Valpo’s biggest wins since back-to-back triumphs at Chicago State (7-0) and Northern Illinois (5-2) on Jan. 31 and Feb. 1, respectively.
- The partnership of Brozovich and Carvajal have won three of their last four doubles matches, including both on Saturday, to improve to 6-4 on the season as a duo.
Valpo (6-6) will wrap up its tour of Texas on Sunday in College Station with a 6 p.m. showdown against Texas A&M.