The Valpo soccer team dropped points for the first time since starting Missouri Valley Conference play on Sunday in Springfield, Mo., as host Missouri State scored early in the second half for the deciding tally in a 1-0 final.
How It Happened
- Opportunities on the attack were tough to come by in a scoreless opening half. Valpo goalkeeper Nikki Coryell (Aurora, Ill./Metea Valley) did her part to keep the score 0-0 with a strong save in the 16th minute, leaping and pushing a shot from MSU’s Abby Couch over the crossbar.
- The Beacons’ best chance in the opening 45 minutes came inside the final minute of the period. A long free kick was sent into the center of the box, where freshman Molly O’Rear (Naperville, Ill./Naperville) got her head to it, but her redirection went straight at MSU goalkeeper Katherine Montgomery for a save.
- The Bears struck less than seven minutes out of the halftime break with what ended up being the lone goal of the afternoon. Coryell did well to dive and parry an initial shot from Grace O’Keefe, but the rebound dropped to Hailey Chambliss, who put it in the back of the net in the 52nd
- Valpo’s best chance at a potential equalizer came entering the final minute of the 90, as sophomore Addy Joiner (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton) got to the end line and then decided to take a sharp-angle shot instead of crossing. But Montgomery was not caught off guard, securing the shot at the near post.
Inside the Match
- Sunday’s loss snapped Valpo’s three-match winning streak and was the Beacons’ first loss in MVC play.
- Sunday’s matchup was between the two sides sitting atop the MVC table entering the day. Valpo now trails Missouri State by four points, but has a match in hand on the Bears.
- Shots were at a premium in Sunday’s fixture, as the two sides combined for just 14 shot attempts — MSU leading 8-6 in the department. Coryell made five saves in goal for the Beacons, while Montgomery secured six saves for the Bears.
- Missouri State’s goal in the 52nd minute snapped a shutout streak of 340 consecutive minutes by the Valpo defense.
Valpo (4-6-2, 3-1-0 MVC) looks for a bounce-back performance Thursday evening when the Beacons play at Illinois State. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m., and the match can be seen live on ESPN+.