Junior Garrett Willis (Fort Wayne, Ind. / Homestead) led the way for the Valparaiso University men’s golf team with a top-10 finish on the individual leaderboard thanks to a strong conclusion to the season-opening Invitation at Savannah Harbor on Sunday in Savannah, Ga. Valpo placed in the middle of the pack in a competitive field, coming in eighth of 16. The Brown & Gold played 23 holes on Sunday, completing the previously-suspended second round before golfing the third and final round of the event while battling challenging conditions.
How It Happened
- Willis had his best score of the tournament in Sunday’s final round, stroking a 71 (-1) to finish at 218 (+2) over the 54 holes, tied for ninth of 87.
- Caleb VanArragon (Blaine, Minn. / Blaine) and Brett Seward (Aurora, Ill. / Aurora Christian) also finished in the top 30, as VanArragon’s second-round score of 71 (-1) highlighted his performance. The Valpo sophomore finished the event with a 222 (+6), which put him tied for 26th.
- Seward checked in at t-28 after going par or better in each of the first two rounds. He finished the event with a 54-hole total of 223 (+7).
Inside the Round
- Willis’ 71 tied for the best Round 3 score in the 87-player field.
- Four of Valpo’s five golfers had a round of par or better during the tournament.
- Valpo totaled 37 birdies, 10 of which came courtesy of Willis.
- Willis garnered a top-10 finish for the sixth time in his collegiate career.
Valpo will return to action on Monday, March 15 to begin the two-day Bash at the Beach in North Myrtle Beach, S.C.