The Valparaiso University men’s golf team is tied for third and just one shot out of second in a 17-team field through 36 holes at the Wright State Invitational, hosted at the par-71, 7075-yard Heatherwoode Golf Club in Springboro, Ohio. Caleb VanArragon (Blaine, Minn. / Blaine) owns Valpo’s top score entering Monday’s final round.
How It Happened
- VanArragon went two strokes under par with a 69 in the morning round, ranking second on the individual leaderboard and just two strokes off the lead at that juncture. He carded a 71 (+2) in the second round. Entering Monday, the sophomore ranks fourth in an 87-player field and is five strokes in back of the individual leader, Austin Schoonmaker of Wright State.
- Alex Heck and Jack Juskow both carded 73s in Round 1 to tie for second on the team midway through the day. Heck finished the day at 151 (t-25).
- Drew Alexander (McCordsville, Ind. / Hamilton Southeastern) enjoyed a consistent showing, posting a 75 in each of the two rounds to finish the day second on the team at 150 (t-21).
- Wright State leads the tournament with a 579, while Ohio (594), Youngstown State (595) and Valpo (595) are tightly bunched behind the hosts.
Inside the Round
- Valpo has performed well on Par 4 holes, posting a 4.24 average, the third best in the field.
- The team has racked up 113 pars, second in the field, and had 17 birdies on the first day of action.
- VanArragon is tied for the top Par-4 average in the tournament, while Juskow is three under on Par-5 holes.
- VanArragon is tied for the tournament lead with 27 pars and has a team-high five birdies.
Valpo will conclude the Wright State Invitational with the final round on Monday in Springboro, Ohio. That will serve as the final round prior to the MVC Championship, hosted by Loyola in Flossmoor, Ill. on April 26-27.