For the third consecutive tournament, Valparaiso University men’s golf sophomore Anthony Delisanti (Sanborn, N.Y. / Niagara Wheatfield) earned a top-2 finish at this week’s Bubba Barnett Intercollegiate, hosted by Arkansas State University at the par-72, 6565-yard RidgePointe Country Club in Jonesboro, Ark. Delisanti was joined in the top 10 by senior teammate Caleb VanArragon (Blaine, Minn. / Blaine) in an event that featured 69 competitors.
How It Happened
- Delisanti carded a 69 (-3) on Tuesday, finishing the 54-hole event with 210 (-6). He shared individual runner-up honors with Christian Castillo of Arkansas and was behind only Arkansas State’s Devyn Pappas, who was the individual medalist.
- VanArragon also put together his third straight round of par or better with a 72 (E) on Tuesday. That helped him finish tied for eighth with a 54-hole score of 215 (-1).
- The next-best Beacon was Yianni Kostouros (Crown Point, Ind. / Crown Point [Ball State]), who finished 23rd in the event at 223 after carding a 73 on Tuesday.
- Mason Bonn (Sherwood, Ore. / Sherwood) and Sam Booth (Carmel, Ind. / Carmel), the second of whom was golfing as an individual, each turned in a 76 on Tuesday.
- Valpo usurped Belmont on the team leaderboard on the final day for third place in the event by outdoing the Bruins by 22 strokes in Tuesday’s round. The Beacons finished third in the 11-team field at 870 (+6) after a round of 290 (+2) on Tuesday. The host Red Wolves took the team title, finishing two strokes ahead of runner-up Oklahoma Christian.
Inside the Round
- As a team, Valpo’s winning percentage is up to .788 (41-11) this season.
- Valpo finished behind a pair of high-quality teams in Arkansas State and Oklahoma Christian. This marked the eighth consecutive year that the Red Wolves won their home tournament. A-State has qualified for two of the last three NCAA Regionals, while Oklahoma Christian is ranked sixth nationally in Division-II.
- The Beacons put together yet another top-5 team finish, their third straight and eighth in the calendar year of 2022. Valpo has finished in the top five in 18 of the program’s last 21 tournaments.
- Delisanti has finished in the top 2 in three straight tournaments and five times total in his career. This was his first individual runner-up finish as his first four top-2 finishes were individual titles.
- VanArragon secured his 23rd career top-10 finish.
- Valpo accrued 46 birdies for the tournament, led by Delisanti with 13. VanArragon also hit double figures with 11. The Beacons had the fourth-most birdies among participating teams. Owen Sander (Carmel, Ind. / Carmel) had two eagles and Kostouros had one, both on the first day of the event.
- Valpo finished third in the field in par-4 scoring (4.19) and fourth in par-5 performance (4.75).
The fall season will conclude this coming weekend as the Beacons head to Riverside, Iowa to compete in the Iowa Fall Classic hosted by the Hawkeyes beginning on Sunday. A link to live scoring will be available on ValpoAthletics.com.