The Valparaiso University track & field team opened up the three-day Missouri Valley Conference Outdoor Championships, hosted by Drake in Des Moines, Iowa, on Friday. The Beacons boasted several strong performances, including a number of personal records.
How It Happened
- Valpo placed two in the top 11 in the men’s hammer throw as Alek Trafton (Lockport, Ill. / Lockport) delivered a heave of 55.91 meters (183-5) to achieve ninth, while Eddie Juszczak (Lowell, Ind. / Lowell) came in 11th at 53.32m (174-11). Trafton’s performance improved his PR of 55.07 that was established in Valpo’s last meet. He remains fourth in program history in that event.
- In the women’s hammer throw, Tori Gerhardt (Westville, Ind. / Chesterton) paced the Valpo group with a 42.16m (138-4), a mark that sat just outside the top-10 as she placed 11th. Her toss bettered her personal record set in Valpo’s last meet.
- Tommy Palmer notched a point for the team in the men’s javelin throw by covering 48.63 meters (159-6). He placed eighth while establishing a new personal best.
- In the men’s 1500, Simeon Ehm (Castle Rock, Colo. / Heritage) qualified for the final by stopping the clock in 3:58.21, a new PR. In the women’s 1500, Grace Aurand (Highland, Ind. / Highland) had the best time by a Beacon at 4:44.17.
- In the men’s 200, freshman Nehemiah Ray (Chicago, Ill. / Brother Rice) narrowly missed qualifying for the final. His time of 21.63 was ninth with the top eight advancing. The time did best Ray’s previous PR of 21.85 and help him move into fourth in program history in that event.
- Marion Isaac (Evergreen Park, Ill. / Evergreen Park) led the Beacons in the women’s 200 with a time of 28.53.
- In the men’s 10,000, Nathan Izewski (Palatine, Ill. / Palatine) paced the team at 32.21.23.
The MVC Outdoor Championship will continue on Saturday, May 14 with live coverage available on ESPN3. Links to live results and video will be available on ValpoAthletics.com.