The Valparaiso University track & field team added to the list of program records that have been shattered this season on the first day of the Grand Valley State University Big Meet, which is being held this weekend in Allendale, Mich. Ignacio Veloz Bonilla (San Juan, P.R. / American Military Academy) set the new program standard in the indoor 3,000, while several other distance runners set personal bests on Friday.
How It Happened
- Veloz-Bonilla finished with a time of 8:15.19, outdoing the previous program mark of 8:18.49 that had stood since 2001, when it was established by Aaron Crague. Veloz Bonilla placed 11th in a 23-runner field in the event.
- Evan Walda (Fort Wayne, Ind. / South Side)’s 3000 time of 8:29.79 ranked 11th in a 24-runner field in the afternoon running of the 3,000. He beat his previous PR of 8:39.27. In addition, Walda now ranks sixth in program history in that event, bumping Jeremey Duff’s time of 8:30.90 from the year 2000 for a spot in the program’s top five before Veloz Bonilla outdid Walda in the 3,000 later in the day. Five of the top six men’s indoor 3,000 times in program history have come since 2020.
- Maranda Donahue (Delton, Mich. / Delton-Kellogg) stopped the clock in 5:05.36 in the mile, finishing 25th of 55. She shattered her previous PR of 5:11.60.
- Elsewhere in the distance, Grace Aurand (Highland, Ind. / Highland) turned in a time of 10:34.32 in the women’s 3000.
- In the pole vault, it was Tristan Malatlian (Pfafftown, N.C. / Reagan) placing fourth with a height of 4.66 meters (15-3.5).
The GVSU Big Meet will continue on Saturday in Allendale. Links to live results and video (FloSports, subscription required) are available on ValpoAthletics.com.