The Valparaiso University track & field programs wrapped up an indoor season that featured numerous highlights with Monday’s second and final day of the Missouri Valley Conference Indoor Championships, cohosted by the Beacons at Gately Complex on Chicago’s south side. The final day featured several personal bests and multiple events where the Valpo men scored points.
How It Happened
- In the 800 finals, Ignacio Veloz Bonilla (San Juan, P.R. / American Military Academy) crossed the line fourth to score five points for the Beacons. He posted a time of 1:55.95.
- A pair of freshmen produced points for the Brown & Gold in the triple jump. Micah Mullings (Minesing, Ontario, Canada / Barrie North) finished seventh with a PR of 14.15m (46-5.25) that ranks third in program history. He notched two points after the team’s best TJ since Jarrett Mickens set the program record in 2011.
- Also in that event, Gavin Schaefer (Lake Saint Louis, Mo. / Timberland) finished eighth, scoring a point with a height of 12.71m.
- PRs were plentiful in the 3000. On the women’s side, Maranda Donahue (Delton, Mich. / Delton-Kellogg) finished 19th at 10:19.57, her personal best. Also setting a PR was Grace Aurand (Highland, Ind. / Highland) at 10:29.96. On the men’s side, Evan Walda cracked the all-time top five in that event with a PR of 8:27.44 to achieve a top-10 finish in the meet.
- In the men’s shot put, Will Rinker (Valparaiso, Ind. / Chesterton) led the team at 13.42m (44-0.5), outdoing his previous personal best.
- The Valpo men tied for seventh in the team standings.
The outdoor season will commence on Thursday, March 23 as Valpo competes in the Florida State Relays in Tallahassee, Fla.