The Valparaiso University track & field team completed another solid showing on Friday, wrapping up the Elaine Leigh Invite hosted by Oakland University in Rochester, Mich. Tristan Malatlian (Pfafftown, N.C. / Reagan) picked up an event win for the Beacons in the pole vault.
How It Happened
- Malatlian established a new outdoor personal best in the pole vault by clearing 4.80 meters (15-9), a mark that ranks third in program history.
- Maranda Donahue (Delton, Mich. / Delton-Kellogg) continued to run well, stopping the clock in the women’s 800 in 2:17.74, establishing a new personal record. She finished as the runner-up in a 29-athlete field. Donahue also finished seventh of 49 in the 1,500, completing the race in 4:39.91.
- Elsewhere on the track for the Valpo women, Isabella Smith (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) placed eighth in the 400 with a PR of 1:00.69. Kai Dilosa (Merrillville, Ind. / Lake Central) finished the 200 in 26.70, setting a PR of her own while placing 11th of 30.
- On the men’s side, Eric Carothers (Fishers, Ind. / Hamilton Southeastern) achieved a top-10 finish in the 1,500 at 3:56.22, placing 10th of 51. He was followed closely by teammate Simeon Ehm, whose PR of 3:56.54 ranked 11th in that event.
- Other top-10 finishes on the men’s track came courtesy of Lukas Sepulveda (Camano Island, Wash. / Stanwood), who was seventh of 25 at 23.12 in the 200, and Anthony Vassolo (Tinley Park, Ill. / Andrew), who PR’d with a 10th-place time of 51.50 in the 18-runner 400.
- In the jumps, freshman Micah Mullings (Minesing, Ontario, Canada / Barrie North) finished third of 13 in the long jump at 7.01m (23-0). He also placed third of six in the triple jump at 13.40m (43-11.75).
- The throws were highlighted by Tori Gerhardt (Westville, Ind. / Chesterton) finishing in the top 10 in three different events. Her shot put of 11.14m (36-6.75) helped her place seventh of 24. She covered 42.11m (138-2) with her hammer throw that ranked 10th of 24. Gerhardt’s highest finish was sixth of 20 in the discus, where she turned in a heave of 35.48m (116-5).
- In the men’s throws, it was Reid Davis (Nashville, Ind. / Brown County) achieving a PR of 38.85m in the discus to place seventh of 24. Other top 10s came courtesy of Tommy Palmer (Saco, Maine/ Phillips Exeter Academy), who was fifth of 18 in the javelin at 45.25m (148-5), and Joe Irons, who was eighth of 17 in the hammer at 45.94m (150-8).
- Click here for full results.
Select distance runners will participate in the Drake Relays next week, while the remainder of the squad takes part in the Louisville Clark Wood Invitational.