The Valparaiso University track & field team had several student-athletes turn in performances that rank in the top five in program history in their respective events at this weekend’s Clark Wood Invitational, hosted by the University of Louisville in Louisville, Ky. This marked the team’s final tune-up prior to the upcoming MVC Outdoor Championships.
How It Happened
- In the women’s 1500, Maranda Donahue (Delton, Mich. / Delton-Kellogg) turned in a personal-best time of 4:34.90, placing seventh in a 36-athlete field. This ranked third in program history and was the program’s best outdoor 1,500 since Liz (Bloy) Owen in 2016.
- In the men’s 5000, Simeon Ehm (Castle Rock, Colo. / Heritage) recorded an all-time top-5 time by completing the race in 14:46.13, which ranked third in a 19-runner field. His time ranks fourth in the program record book in that event.
- Freshman Micah Mullings (Minesing, Ontario, Canada / Barrie North) continued his strong season by clearing 7.23 meters (23-8.75) in the long jump, placing fourth of 27. His mark ranks fourth in program history, the best since Jarrett Mickens set the program record in 2001.
- Numerous other athletes set PRs, including Thaddeaus Malatlian (Pfafftown, N.C. / Reagan), who was the runner-up in the pole vault at 4.23m (13-10.5).
- In the men’s shot put, Josh Leathers (Streamwood, Ill. / Streamwood) led the way with a PR of 13.09m (42-11.5), while Amelia Tandy (New Albany, Ind. / New Albany) had a PR of her own to lead the team in the women’s shot put at 11.69m (38-4.25).
- There were several PRs in the sprints, including Isabella Smith (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) in the 400 with her team-leading time of 59.95. On the men’s side, Lukas Sepulveda (Camano Island, Wash. / Stanwood) stopped the clock in a personal-best 22.35 in the 200, while Anthony Vassolo (Tinley Park, Ill. / Andrew) had a PR of 51.25 to lead the team in the 400.
- In the middle distance, Sean Curran (Plainfield, Ill. / Plainfield North) established a personal best in the 800 at 2:04.05.
- In the women’s 5000, Grace Aurand (Highland, Ind. / Highland) had a top-10 finish in a 20-runner field, crossing the line eighth at 17:33.40.
The MVC Outdoor Championships will run May 12-14 and will be hosted by Illinois State in Normal, Ill. The meet will be broadcast on ESPN+ with links to live video and results available on ValpoAthletics.com.