The Valpo soccer program honored the members of its senior class on Sunday prior to the final nonconference home match of the season, but when play began, visiting Bowling Green spoiled the Senior Day fun as the Falcons claimed a 3-0 victory.
How It Happened
- The Falcons jumped on top early, as Kennedy White headed in a corner kick from Mackenzie Reuber in the sixth minute.
- Goalkeeper Georgia Henkel (Houston, Texas/Stratford) kept it a 1-0 score at the half, making a trio of first-half saves.
- Within seconds of the second half starting, Valpo had a golden chance for a potential equalizer, as freshman Molly O’Rear (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central) was played in behind the BGSU back line. But Bowling Green goalkeeper Lili Berg just beat O’Rear to the ball and smothered it to extinguish the opportunity.
- Valpo earned its first corner of the match four minutes into the second half, but it turned into a goal for the Falcons on the counter as Bowling Green took advantage of a 2-v-1. White scored her second goal of the contest, assisted by Lacee Bethea.
- BGSU closed the scoring in the 72nd minute when Katie Cox converted on a penalty kick.
Inside the Match
- Valpo honored the seven members of its senior class prior to the match: Henkel, Allie Anderson, Kiley Dugan, Natalie Graf, Abbey Hillman, Nicole Norfolk and Elizabeth Park. The program also recognized Andrea Garcia, who is completing her final year of collegiate eligibility after transferring from Hartford.
- All eight aforementioned honorees were in Valpo’s starting XI on Sunday. Dugan and Norfolk extended their respective consecutive starts made streaks to 58 matches, while Park started for just the third time and Garcia made her first start in a Valpo uniform.
- The Beacons ended up using 22 players in all on Sunday, all of whom played at least 10 minutes.
- BGSU out-shot Valpo 18-2 and put 11 of its shots on goal. Henkel made three first-half saves, while Nikki Coryell (Aurora, Ill./Metea Valley) came on at halftime and stopped five shots.
Valpo (1-5-2) opens MVC play on the road Saturday afternoon at UNI. Kickoff is slated for noon and the match will be broadcast live on ESPN3.