The Valpo swimming program welcomed UIC to the Valparaiso Aquatic Center Friday as the Beacons hosted their Senior Meet, honoring the eight members of the program swimming in their final home meet.
How It Happened
- Valpo honored the eight swimmers in its senior class on Friday — Katie Craig (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton), Alexis Orange (Porter, Ind./Chesterton), Chiara Robinson (Castle Pines, Colo./Rock Canyon), Billy Bennett (Libertyville, Ill./Libertyville), Keenan Burgess (Charlotte, N.C./Christ the King), Derek Eidson (Ventura, Calif./Ventura), Dominic May (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central) and Rick Renner (Chantilly, Va./Lake Braddock).
- When the meet got underway, May made sure he claimed an event victory in the final home meet of his career, touching the wall first in the 50 free with a time of 21.63.
- May also placed second in the 100 free with a time of 48.04, one of four Valpo individuals on the men’s side to earn a runner-up finish.
- Eidson posted two second-place showings in his final home meet, placing second in both the 100 back (56.54) and the 100 fly (54.27).
- Freshman Ethan Welker (Clear Spring, Md./Saint James School) touched the wall second in the 200 fly with a time of 2:00.46, while sophomore Drew Wilson (Sugar Grove, Ill./Aurora Central Catholic) completed the 200 back in 2:07.44 for a second-place finish.
- On the women’s side, freshman Dot Chislett (Stillwater, Minn./Stillwater Area) posted Valpo’s best finish, placing second in the 200 fly with a time of 2:18.93.
- Valpo fell to UIC in the team scoring, 160-93 on the men’s side and 199-59 on the women’s side.
Valpo will compete in a pair of meets next weekend, starting with a dual meet at Rose-Hulman on Friday, Jan. 21.