The Valpo men’s and women’s swimming teams made their respective season debuts at home at the Valparaiso Aquatic Center on Friday evening as the Beacons faced off against Evansville in a dual meet. The evening was highlighted by freshman Jackson Oostman (Aurora, Ill./Marmion) taking first place on the men’s side in the 200 IM.
How It Happened
- Oostman touched the wall in the 200 IM in 1:55.42 to take top honors in the event. The freshman’s time ranks fourth in the event in program history.
- Oostman also added a second-place finish in the 100 back, touching the wall in 53.38.
- Oostman was one of three Valpo swimmers to pace the team in a pair of events. Freshman Anthony Martin (Bartlett, Ill./Bartlett) came home in 49.19 in the 100 free for a second-place finish and also led the Beacons with a time of 1:48.52 in the 200 free.
- Fellow freshman Ricky Helmboldt (Tucson, Ariz./Arizona Connections Academy) led Valpo in both the 500 free (5:03.05) and the 1000 free (10:19.13).
- On the women’s side, freshman Emma Wise (Beaver Falls, Pa./Blackhawk) placed second in the 1000 free with a time of 11:47.38 and fellow rookie Emma Schmidt (Overland Park, Kan./Blue Valley) earned a second-place finish of her own in the 500 free (5:23.63).
- Schmidt also paced Valpo in the 200 free (1:59.81), while sophomores Dot Chislett (Stillwater, Minn./Stillwater Area) and Sara Strauss (Spring Lake, Mich./Spring Lake) led the Beacons in a pair of individual events apiece as well. Chislett was the top-finishing Beacon in the 200 IM (2:16.46) and the 100 fly (1:02.06), while Strauss led Valpo in the 50 free (25.85) and the 100 breast (1:10.51).
- In all, Valpo was led by freshmen in eight of nine individual events on the men’s side and in four individual events on the women’s side.
- Evansville won the team scoring on both fronts, 137-65 on the women’s side and 149-56 on the men’s side.
Valpo returns to the pool next Saturday, Oct. 22 in a tri-meet at Eastern Illinois which will also feature Bellarmine.