The Valparaiso University tennis team enjoyed a successful Friday of action at the BGSU Invitational, a three-day event hosted by Bowling Green in Bowling Green, Ohio this weekend. Every Valpo group remained in the main draw in an event that is utilizing a unique format. Valpo duos match up with a duo from another school for one doubles match and two singles matches and whichever pair wins two of three advances in the main draw.
How It Happened
- The doubles duo of Elizabeth Sobieski (Muskego, Wis. / Muskego) and Sydney Stone (Brisbane, Australia / Tyler JC) picked up a tight 8-7(3) win over the Youngstown State tandem of Cedeno/Beazley. Stone dropped her singles match against Beazley, but Sobieski rallied for a 2-6, 6-2, 10-8 victory to help the Valpo pair advance to the next round. In Round 2, they dropped their doubles match to DePaul, and singles against the Blue Demons will take place on Saturday.
- The Valpo doubles team of Mia Bertino (Lockport, Ill. / Joliet Catholic) and Jolene Fernandes (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) beat Clemens/Chaffee from host BGSU 8-3 in doubles. Bertino called upon some comeback magic in her singles match against Clemens, bouncing back from a 2-6 loss in Set 1 to force a third set by winning her second set 6-2. She then faced a 6-9 deficit in the third-set tiebreak before clinching the match by rattling off five straight to prevail 11-9. Fernandes topped Chaffee in straight sets, winning 6-1, 6-4. The Bertino/Fernandes duo kept their success rolling in second-round doubles, beating Greyling/Minich of Youngstown State 8-3.
- Valpo’s top tandem of Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) and Moira Silva (Lockport, Ill. / Joliet Catholic) are the No. 3 seed and enjoyed a first-round bye. They beat the BGSU pair of Baker/Fonseca 8-4 in second-round doubles and will play second-round singles on Saturday.
Inside the Match
- Czerwonka’s doubles win was the 64th of her career, second in program history behind her sister Claire (72).
- Silva is up to 19 career doubles wins as only a sophomore.
- Bertino obtained the 40th singles win of her career.
- The doubles win for Bertino/Fernandes over YSU came against Lili Minich, a Second Team All-Horizon League performer last season.
The Beacons will continue the weekend of action with a busy day of tennis on Saturday.