MVC play got underway for the Valpo softball team on Saturday afternoon in Terre Haute, Ind., as the Beacons fell to host Indiana State by a 10-0 final.
How It Happened
- Valpo threatened to open the scoring in the top of the first. Peyton Moeder (Shawnee, Kan./Mill Valley) led off the game with an infield single, and moved over to third on a sacrifice bunt and a flyout. A walk to Taylor Tonoian (Saugus, Calif./Saugus) put two on with two out before a grounder ended the scoring chance.
- Indiana State scored three runs with two outs in the bottom of the first to jump in front.
- The Beacons got a leadoff walk from Addi Weaver (Shelbyville, Ind./Shelbyville) in the top of the second, but were unable to advance the runner past second.
- The Sycamores scored three in the second and four in the third to complete their scoring.
Inside the Game
- Valpo’s leader in batting average, Moeder has now picked up at least one base hit in 12 of 18 games this season.
- Weaver is now tied for team-high honors with five walks this season.
- Madison Wathen (Floyds Knobs, Ind./Floyd Central) started in the circle and took the loss, tossing the first inning-plus. Caitlyn Kowalski (Temperance, Mich./Notre Dame Academy) finished out the final three innings of work.
Valpo (8-10, 0-1 MVC) concludes the conference-opening series on Sunday with a twinbill against the host Sycamores. First pitch of game one is slated for 11 a.m. CT, and live stats will be available for both games.