The Valpo softball team came out on the wrong end of its two games on Saturday at The Spring Games in Madeira Beach, Fla., dropping a 5-2 decision to Dartmouth and falling to UT Martin, 12-0.
How It Happened – Dartmouth
- Senior Easton Seib (Blue Springs, Mo./Blue Springs South) set down the first nine Dartmouth batters she faced in order. The Big Green opened the scoring in the fourth inning, however, pushing three runs across the plate.
- The Beacons got on the board in the bottom of the fourth, as fifth-year Taylor Herschbach (Lockport, Ill./Lockport Township) led off the frame with a bunt single and eventually scored on a Dartmouth error.
- Dartmouth pulled that run with a tally in the fifth and added another in the sixth on a solo homer.
- Valpo picked up a consolation run in the bottom of the sixth, courtesy of a two-out RBI double from junior Regi Hecker (Lee’s Summit, Mo./Blue Springs South) to score sophomore Kaiah Fenters (Speedway, Ind./Speedway).
How It Happened – UT Martin
- The Skyhawks jumped on top with a solo homer in the bottom of the first and added another solo homer in the second.
- Junior Autumn Acord (LaGrange, Ohio/Keystone [Kent State]) drew a one-out walk in the third for Valpo’s first baserunner, but could not advance past second.
- UT Martin put another run on the board in the third and then scored nine in the fourth to shorten the game via run-rule.
Inside the Games
- Hecker and junior Alexis Johnson (Schererville, Ind./Lake Central) both reached base twice against Dartmouth, with a hit and a walk apiece.
- Juniors Emily Crompton (Salem, Ill./Christ Our Rock Lutheran) and Kayla Skapyak (Macomb, Mich./Dakota) drew walks against Dartmouth as well.
- Seib was charged with the loss in the circle in the opener, while junior Caitlyn Kowalski (Temperance, Mich./Notre Dame Academy) started and took the loss against UT Martin.
Valpo (1-8) closes out its weekend in Madeira Beach with a single game against Oakland on Sunday at 11:30 a.m. CT.