Valparaiso (8-15, 4-8 Horizon)
at Detroit (11-12, 7-5 Horizon)
Game #24 - Saturday, February 13 - 11:00 a.m. CT
Calihan Hall (8,295) - Detroit, Mich.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: It’s not quite Motor City Madness, but the Brown and Gold head to Detroit nonetheless on Saturday in pursuit of a much-needed win. The Titans returned home Thursday following a 3-1 road trip, but dropped a 64-51 contest to UIC. The Crusaders seek a regular-season series split after Detroit seized a 72-66 victory at the ARC back on January 7th. Brianne Cohen powered UDM off the bench with 19 points on 8-of-13 shooting.
Last Time Out: Dani Franklin and Meredith Hamlet turned in dazzling offensive performances Thursday afternoon, but a turnover-laced first half made a late Crusader comeback attempt too tall of an order. The underclassmen combined for 47 points on 17-of-29 shooting, but Oakland prevailed in an 87-77 contest at the Athletics Center O’rena. Valpo shot a season-best 52.2% from three-point range, but were undone by 14 first-half turnovers.
Following the Crusaders: Audio: WVUR (95.1 FM, Valparaiso) - Brandon Vickrey (PxP), Parker Gatewood (Color). Video: ESPN3. Links for the audio, video, and live stats are available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, follow @ValpoWBB on Twitter for in-game updates and a behind-the-scenes look at the Crusaders throughout the season.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (31-83) is in her fourth season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2015-16. She collected her 250th career victory on November 14th, 2014 after a 91-57 defeat of Butler. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999-2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-03.
Series Notes: Detroit leads the all-time series, 14-9, in a matchup that began in 1989. The Crusaders have won four of the last seven contests after snapping a four-game losing streak to the Titans in March of 2013 (the play-in game of the Horizon League Championship). Detroit is 7-5 all-time at home, although Valpo has won two in a row at Calihan Hall.
- Saturday’s contest will serve as both Detroit’s Pink Game and Homecoming.
- Freshman Amber Lindfors needs two more blocks to move into sole possession of third place for blocks in a season with 50.
- Rosanna Reynolds’ next triple will thrust the junior into Detroit’s Top 10 for career three-point field goals made (112).
- Valpo has won a game inside Calihan Hall each of the last two seasons.
- The Titans have yet to win this season when held under 40% field-goal shooting. Five of Valpo’s previous six opponents have shot below that mark.
- In its 44th season, @ValpoWBB is 510-602 all-time (as of Feb. 12th).
- @ValpoWBB has made two NCAA Tournament appearances (2002-03, 2003-04) and earned one WNIT berth (2001-02).
- @ValpoWBB closed out the 2014-15 season slate with a 6-24 overall record, 2-14 in the Horizon League.
- @ValpoWBB was picked to finish 10th in the Horizon League in the 2015-16 Preseason Poll.
- @ValpoWBB’s Dani Franklin was a Preseason Second Team All-Horizon League selection.
- @ValpoWBB returns its three leading scorers (Franklin, Jasmyn Walker, Lexi Miller) in addition to its two top rebounders (Walker, Franklin).
- @ValpoWBB brings back 1,469 points, 767 rebounds, and 4,304 minutes played from the 2014-15 squad.
- @ValpoWBB reached the eight-win mark for the first time since the 2012-13 season.
- Last season, @ValpoWBB did not record its fifth win until February 5th. It did so on Dec. 30th this season.
@ValpoWBB in the @HorizonLeague
- Since joining the Horizon League in 2007-08, @ValpoWBB is 48-102 (as of Feb. 12th).
- @ValpoWBB has had one First Team All-League selection (Launa Hochstetler, 2008-09) and two Second Team All-League players (Agnieszka Kulaga, 2007-08; Tabitha Gerardot, 2012-13).
- @ValpoWBB also boasts four representatives on the All-Newcomer Team (Lauren Kenney, 2008-09; Gerardot, 2010-11; Dani Franklin, 2014-15; Jasmyn Walker, 2014-15), an All-Defensive Team member (Laura Richards, 2011-12), one Freshman of the Year (Franklin, 2014-15), and one Sixth Player of the Year (Franklin, 2014-15).
- @ValpoWBB’s win at Northern Kentucky on Dec. 30th gave it its first road win in a Horizon League opener since becoming a member.
- @Detroit_WBB enters Thursday’s tilt with an 11-12 record, but a 7-5 mark in Horizon League play.
- @Detroit_WBB does not have a senior on its roster.
- @Detroit_WBB commits an HL-low 13.7 turnovers per contest.
- @Detroit_WBB surrenders a league-most 73.3 PPG on defense.
- @Detroit_WBB’s -4.6 rebounding margin is also an HL minimum.
- @Detroit_WBB touts one more block (87) than Valpo (86) through 23 games.
- @Detroit_WBB boasts three (H. Ristovski [35.4], Reynolds [33.7], Urbanick [33.0]) of the top seven in minutes played in the Horizon.
- Reynolds paces @Detroit_WBB in scoring (16.1 PPG), the fourth-highest offensive output in the conference.
- Reynolds also leads @Detroit_WBB in assists (104), steals (31), and free-throw percentage (88.4%). This is her third straight 100-assist season.
- @Detroit_WBB’s Nicole Urbanick (14.5 PPG) averages just under eight three-point attempts per game (leads HL in 3FG made with 67).
- Valpo held Urbanick to 1-of-8 from beyond the arc earlier this season.
- Reynolds and Urbanick were high school teammates at Divine Child High School in Dearborn, Michigan.
- @Detroit_WBB’s Brianne Cohen has raised her scoring average to 13.8 PPG thanks to a recent flurry of 21-point tilts.
- Cohen poured in 21 points versus Oakland, Cleveland State, and Youngstown State, all in the six games.
- YSU’s Sarah Cash is the only player in the Horizon League with a higher FG percentage (.633) than @Detroit_WBB’s Cohen (.589).
- @Detroit_WBB’s Haleigh Ristovski is one of the most proficient defensive rebounders in the nation.
- Ristovski’s 7.7 defensive RPG average is 13th in the country.
- 178 of Ristovski’s 197 boards have been on the defensive end.
- @UDMCoachScott is in his first season as head coach of the Titans.
- @UDMCoachScott enters Saturday’s contest with an 11-12 record.
- @UDMCoachScott was an assistant coach for 15 years before being named Detroit’s bench boss on May 5th, 2015.
- Detroit is @UDMCoachScott’s third stop on the sidelines at a Horizon League school.
- @UDMCoachScott was most recently the associate head coach at Cleveland State.
- @UDMCoachScott spent two seasons as recruiting coordinator at Youngstown State (2008-10).
- @UDMCoachScott helped the University of Dayton snap a five-season losing streak in 2006-07 while with the Flyers.
- Following a two-year run at Dayton, @UDMCoachScott worked a season at University of Arizona.
- @UDMCoachScott got his coaching feet wet at Toledo.
- @UDMCoachScott was a member of the Rockets’ coaching staff for four seasons, one of which culminated in a MAC regular season title and a WNIT berth.
- Went off for 22 points last time out at Oakland thanks to a season-high six three-pointers.
- Has scored 10 or more points twelve times (10.7 PPG this season).
- Exploded for 29 points at NKU (Dec. 30) on 10-of-11 shooting, the third-highest single-game FG percentage in program history.
- Started in all 23 contests this season.
- Third Hamlet to play for head coach Tracey Dorow at Valparaiso.
- Team leader in steals (25) and one off the club watermark in assists (70).
- Disbursed multiple assists in 20 of her 23 games.
- Led a second-half charge vs. Northern Colorado, scoring 12 of her team-high 15 points from the 3rd quarter on (4-5 second half 3FG).
- Has over 2,600 followers on Twitter (@xoxolouise21).
- A 47.5% (19-for-40) field goal shooter in eight career games vs. Detroit.
- Averaged 16.0 PPG from Jan. 16th-23rd thanks to a 17-for-25 (68.0%) shooting performance during that span.
- Logged the most minutes (2,379) of any Crusader on the roster.
- Has shot over 80% from the charity stripe and started 27 games each of the last two seasons.
- Has not appeared yet this season.
- Corralled a career-high five rebounds vs. IU-Northwest on Dec. 12th.
- Team leader in assists (71) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.4).
- Racked up 30 assists in her last seven games.
- Corralled a season-high seven rebounds versus. UIC.
- Tied a career high in assists (8) at Wright State on Jan. 1st.
- Hit back-to-back treys at Oakland Thursday as part of a nine-point game.
- Led the Crusaders in scoring at Green Bay with 14 points (5-10 FG).
- Went off for a game-high 12 points versus Louisville on Dec. 5th.
- Set the NJCAA record for three-pointers in a single season (143) last year at Dakota College at Bottineau.
- Has rejected at least two shots in eight consecutive contests, including five versus UIC and Wright State each.
- Leads the Horizon League in blocks per game (2.3).
- Currently in 4th place in program history for blocks in a season (48).
- Swatted six shots on two different occasions this year.
- Accumulated more blocks through ten games (22) than any Crusader in an entire season over the past eight years.
- At 6’4’’, she is the tallest Crusader since Stefanie Lang (2010-12).
- Shooting 48.1% in 12 league games (9th-highest in Horizon League).
- 15-for-24 (62.5%) shooter in three career games against Detroit.
- Matched a career high in points (25) at Oakland on Thursday.
- Hasn’t missed a FT on the road since 3/5/15 at Oakland (23 in a row).
- After shooting 50% or higher from the field just once in the first six games of the season, Franklin did so in 12 straight from Dec.7-Jan. 21.
- Named to Preseason All-Horizon League Second Team.
- Has led the team in scoring on five different occasions this year. She did so 12 times last season.
- Reigning HL Freshman of the Year and Sixth Player of the Year.
- Valpo’s top scorer (13.0 PPG) and field-goal shooter (47.3%) last season.
- Finished in double figures 21 times last season including five tilts of 20 points or more.
- Shot a team-high 85.7% (42-49) from the foul line as a freshman.
- Scored five points at Green Bay (2-2 FG, 1-1 3FG) on Jan. 14th.
- Valpo’s leading scorer (11.9 PPG) and rebounder (9.0 RPG).
- Averaging a double-double in HL play (12.2 PPG, 10.1 RPG).
- Currently in 20th place in career rebounds at Valpo with 457.
- Led the Crusaders in rebounding 17 times this year (six straight).
- Cradled a career-high 16 rebounds vs. Detroit on Jan. 7th.
- Possesses seven double-doubles this season, and five in her last nine games (N. Colorado, Miami, UDM, Oakland, CSU, YSU, WSU).
- Has started all 53 games since arriving to Valparaiso.
- Recorded most rebounds ever by a freshman (250) and the sixth-most ever in a single season in program history.
- Amassed nine double-doubles in Horizon League play in 2014-15.
- Elected to 2014-15 Horizon League All-Freshmen Team.
- Named HL Freshman of the Week three times last season.
- Collected team watermark in rebounds in 14 contests.
- Received two starting assignments this season.
- Posted for a career-high 16 points on 6-of-7 shooting in the Crusaders’ 63-62 win over Cardinal Stritch on Dec. 7th.
- Poured in 14 points (5-9 FG, 3-5 3FG) in 12 minutes off the bench at Butler.