The visiting Miami RedHawks spoiled the Valpo women’s basketball season opener Wednesday evening at the ARC, as the visitors claimed an 85-60 victory.
How It Happened
- The teams traded 3-pointers on their respective first possessions and inside baskets the second time down the floor.
- Miami then scored the next seven in a row to take the lead for good.
- The RedHawks extended their lead to 23-14 at the end of the first quarter.
- Valpo cut the deficit to seven points with the first basket of the second period before the RedHawks went on an 8-0 run.
- The Miami lead was 48-26 at halftime and 69-36 at the end of the third quarter.
- The Beacons outscored Miami 24-16 over the final 10 minutes.
Inside the Game
- Redshirt senior Carie Weinman (Glenview, Ill./Glenbrook South [Denver]) led the Valpo offense with 12 points on Wednesday.
- Sophomore Leah Earnest (Stevens Point, Wis./SPASH) went 4-of-6 from the floor — a career high for field goals made — for nine points, while senior Maya Dunson (Dayton, Ohio/Wayne [Loyola]) added nine points as well and matched a career best with three assists.
- Senior Shay Frederick (Greenville, Wis./Hortonville) tallied eight points and tied for game-high honors with four assists, while sophomore Lauren Gunn (Fishers, Ind./Lawrence North) shot 3-for-4 for seven points.
- Fifth-year Grace White (Redby, Minn./Red Lake [Denver]) tied a career best with four steals.
- Valpo shot 47.9% (23-for-48) from the floor, but was just 7-for-23 (30.4%) from the 3-point line. Meanwhile, the RedHawks hit at a 51.4% clip (38-for-74) and claimed 20 offensive rebounds.
Valpo (0-1) will look to rebound on Sunday afternoon when it hosts Central Michigan at the ARC. Tipoff is slated for 1 p.m., and the game can be seen live on ESPN3.