The Valparaiso University women’s golf team returned to competition on Monday, partaking in the first two rounds of the Loyola Parkinson Invitational, hosted at the par-72, 6041-yard Merit Club in Libertyville, Ill., where pleasant conditions were in the high 60s and low 70s with little cloud cover. A pair of Beacons finished the day narrowly outside the top 10 as sophomore Anna Fay (Ada, Mich. / Forest Hills) and senior Kelsey Eichanauer (North Manchester, Ind. / Manchester) shared the team lead on Day 1.
How It Happened
- Fay and Eichenauer each posted sub-80 scores on the opening day of competition. They both carded a 79 in Round 1 before improving to 78 in Round 2 for a 36-hole score of 157. The Beacon duo is part of a tie for 13th in a 41-player field, one stroke behind t-11 and two strokes behind t-8.
- The next-best Beacon on the first day of action was Madison Keil (LaGrange, Ind. / Lakeland), who turned in an 84 in the opening round before improving to 81 in Round 2 to finish the day at 165 (t-27).
- As a team, Valpo posted a 326 in the opening round before improving to 319 in Round 2. The Beacons held a three-stroke lead on Missouri Valley Conference instate foe Indiana State through 18 holes before the Sycamores (643) finished the day with a two-stroke lead over the Beacons (645) for fifth on the team leaderboard.
Inside the Rounds
- Valpo’s best performance of the day came on par-3 holes with a 3.40 average, fourth in the six-team field. Freshman Taylor Skibinski (Michigan City, Ind. / Michigan City) owned a 3.00 average on par 3s to lead the team.
- Fay thrived on par-4 holes at 4.30, while Eichenauer led the way on par 5s at 5.13.
- The team totaled 11 birdies, led by four from Fay.
Thoughts from Head Coach Jill McCoy
“Today was a good day. Kelsey really stepped up and continued to push herself. I’m very proud of Kelsey. She has worked so hard and has come a long way in the past couple of years. I’m excited to see what she can push herself to accomplish tomorrow.”
The event will conclude on Tuesday as Round 3 begins at 8:30 a.m. with a shotgun start. A link to live scoring via GolfStat is available on ValpoAthletics.com.