The Valparaiso University women’s golf team teed off the final event of the fall docket on Monday by playing the first round of the two-day Braun Intercollegiate, hosted by Evansville at the par-72, 6195-yard Oak Meadow Country Club in Evansville, Ind. The Beacons were led by junior Katie Schreiner (Fenton, Mo. / Summit) on the first day of the event.
How It Happened
- Schreiner’s team-best score of 78 (+6) helped her finish the day as part of a tie for 13th in a 76-player field.
- Junior Anna Fay (Ada, Mich. / Forest Hills) was the next best Beacon with an 81 (+9), tied for 25th.
- The third-best round by a Valpo competitor came courtesy of sophomore Katelyn McCoy (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton), whose 84 put her at t-46.
- Junior Madison Keil (LaGrange, Ind. / Lakeland) boasted the lone eagle by any of the 76 players who took the course on Monday. She needed only three strokes on the par-5 second hole.
- The Beacons finished the round with a team score of 330 (+42), ranking eighth in the 12-team field. They are ahead of Lindenwood, Alabama State, Tennessee State and Southern Illinois and are just a single stroke behind host Evansville.
- UNI leads the tournament at 306 (+18) with Kate Petrova of Evansville and Molly Lee of Indiana State tied for medalist honors at 74.
Thoughts from Head Coach Jill McCoy
“The greens were tough today, and Katie did a great job keeping a calm demeanor and playing her game. She has had a great fall and I’m very proud of her. She has shown a lot of consistency, and I know and believe she is going to play steady every time she goes out.”
Valpo will close out the 36-hole tournament with the second and final round on Tuesday. A link to live scoring is available on ValpoAthletics.com.