Valparaiso University women’s golf sophomore Madison Keil (LaGrange, Ind. / Lakeland) closed out a top-10 finish with a strong performance in Monday’s round at the Indiana State Spring Invitational. She helped the Beacons finish out the final regular-season event of the year, which was hosted by the Sycamores at the par-72, 6041-yard Country Club of Terre Haute.
How It Happened
- Keil carded a 74 (+2) on Monday to finish the event at 153 (+9). She tied for eighth in a 41-player field.
- The team’s second-best score of the day came courtesy of Kelsey Eichenauer (North Manchester, Ind. / Manchester), who posted an 80 to finish the event at t-26 with a 36-hole score of 165.
- The second-best Beacon in terms of tournament score was Anna Fay (Ada, Mich. / Forest Hills), who tied for 16th with a 161.
- The other Valpo player who finished in the top 20 was Roslyn Leitner (Dundee, Ill. / Harry Jacobs), who golfed as an individual and posted a 162 to place 18th.
- As a team, Valpo’s 18-hole score of 318 on Monday was 12 strokes better than its Round-1 performance. The Beacons finished the tournament at 648 to place fifth in a six-team field, pulling away from Eastern Illinois (661) on Monday.
Inside the Round
- Keil’s 36-hole score of 153 cracked the program record book at t-10 in program history for 36-hole tournament overall score. She tied her own 36-hole best that was established on Oct. 18-19, 2021 at the Dayton Fall Invitational.
- In relation to par, Keil’s score of +9 is also tied for 10th in the 36-hole tournament program record book. Her performance this week was Valpo’s best 36-hole tournament in relation to par since Angie Kim in October 2016 at the Braun Intercollegiate.
- Keil’s 74 was one stroke away from her career best and one stroke away from cracking the program’s single-round top 10.
- Keil garnered her third top-10 finish of the season.
- Valpo had nine birdies for the tournament, led by four from Keil.
- Keil tied for the second-best par-5 scoring average in the entire field at 4.80 (-2).
Valpo’s next action will come at the MVC Championships, which will be hosted by Bradley at Annbriar Golf Course in Waterloo, Ill. starting on Sunday, April 16. A link to live scoring via GolfStat will be available on ValpoAthletics.com.