The Valpo women’s swim team traveled to Normal, Ill. Saturday to compete against Illinois State. Sophomore Mikayla DePover (Rock Island, Ill./Rock Island) led the way, collecting a second-place individual finish in the 100 breaststroke.
How It Happened
- DePover collected the best individual finish for the Brown and Gold in the 100-yard breaststroke, posting a time of 1:08.51 — just .42 seconds off the event winner.
- DePover also helped record a third-place finish in the 200-medley relay alongside teammates Kenzie Conn (Celina, Ohio/Celina), Lucy Gascho (Lebanon, Ind./Lebanon) and Mariah Sturdivant (Chicago, Ill./George Washington Prep.), as they recorded a time of 1:54.47.
- Sophie Morelock (Milan, Mich./Milan) finished third in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 11:33.87, and later also led Valpo in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 1:05.12.
- Trinity Springer (Gurnee, Ill./Warren Township) posted a time of 5:38.15 in the 500-yard freestyle to finish third in the event.
- Freshman Gascho helped add points to Valparaiso’s total today as she led the Brown and Gold in the 200-IM (2:28.10) and in the 100-butterfly (1:06.23).
- Morgan Markley (Bluffton, Ind./Norwell) also led Valpo in two events — the 200-free (2:03.83) and the 100-free (56.79), while Conn paced Valpo in the 50-free with a time of 25.94.
- The day ended with a second-place relay finish in the 400-free relay as the team of Conn, Markley, Morelock and Springer posted a time of 3:51.83. Conn posted a leadoff leg of 56.82 in that relay.
- The Valpo women fell to Illinois State by a team score of 178-35.
Valpo will host a tri-meet with Butler and Eastern Illinois on February 27 for its Senior Meet. The meet will take place at Valparaiso High School and the events are slated to start at 1 p.m.