Eight swims which cracked the program’s top-10 charts highlighted the final day of action for the Valpo women’s swimming team at the MVC Championships Saturday in Iowa City, Iowa.
How It Happened
- Freshman Sara Strauss (Spring Lake, Mich./Spring Lake) and junior Amanda Farmer (Tullahoma, Tenn./Homeschooled [Montevallo]) both posted top-10 swims in both breaststroke events on the final day of competition. In the 200 breast, both Strauss and Farmer qualified for the ‘C’ final, where Strauss swam a 2:27.28 to move into seventh place in program history. Farmer’s prelim time of 2:27.46 ranks ninth all-time at Valpo.
- Meanwhile, Strauss and Farmer both improved on their PRs in the 100 breast as well in time trial swims. Strauss posted a time of 1:07.51 and Farmer touched the wall in 1:07.78, maintaining their respective seventh and 10th place placements in program history in the event.
- Freshman Haley Hume (Ballwin, Mo./Marquette) completed a time trial of the 100 IM in 1:01.86, fourth-fastest all-time at Valpo.
- Freshman Bridget Pollard (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield South) led Valpo in the 200 fly with a prelim time of 2:14.35, improving upon her ninth-fastest time in program history.
- Junior Sophie Morelock (Milan, Mich./Milan) paced the Beacons in the 200 back with a prelim time of 2:09.97. Hume came up just short of her PR in the event with a morning swim of 2:11.77, while sophomore Kenzie Conn (Celina, Ohio/Celina) now ranks ninth all-time at Valpo in the event as she swam a 2:12.09 in the prelims.
- Senior Chiara Robinson (Castle Pines, Colo./Rock Canyon) led Valpo with a time of 54.10 in the prelims of the 100 free.
- Valpo capped the meet with a time of 3:38.04 in the 400 free relay, 10th-fastest in program history. Strauss led off the relay with a 53.89 leg, just one-tenth of a second shy of Valpo’s all-time best in the 100 free, and was joined by Conn, Hume and Robinson in the event.
- Valpo finished the MVC Championships in eighth place.