Olivia and Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) lengthened their doubles winning streak and the Valparaiso University women’s tennis team picked up a pair of singles triumphs, but visiting Missouri State prevailed 5-2 on Saturday at The Courts of Northwest Indiana. Freshman Allison McConnell (Westland, Mich. / Churchill) and Olivia accounted for Valpo’s two singles successes.
How It Happened
- The Czerwonka sisters dispatched Missouri State’s top doubles tandem of Claire Martin and Ellie Burger 6-2 to continue their stellar season. The doubles point hinged on the No. 3 match, where the Bears (8-9, 2-1) earned a narrow 7-5 victory.
- Olivia rallied from a set down to top Burger at No. 2 singles. She did not drop a game in Set 3 to win the match 4-6, 6-4, 6-0.
- McConnell’s victory came at No. 5 singles as she too displayed resilience after dropping the first set. She flipped the script on a Set-1 setback with a one-sided win in Set 2 before the third set went to a tiebreak and the rookie nailed down the match 4-6, 6-1, 7-6(1).
- The No. 4 singles match was competitive as Mia Bertino (Lockport, Ill. / Joliet Catholic) was on the wrong end of a 6-4, 7-6(5) battle against Missouri State’s Taylor Shaw. The Bears also won in straight sets at No. 1, No. 3 and No. 6.
Inside the Match
- The Czerwonka sisters have won nine consecutive doubles matches and own a glowing 11-5 record this season.
- Olivia’s victory came over stiff competition as she bested Burger, who is a former MVC individual champion and a two-time member of the All-MVC team. The doubles win came against Burger and Martin, an all-senior combo. Martin was a member of the 2020 MVC Scholar-Athlete Team.
- Claire picked up her 51st career doubles win, moving into a tie with Rachel Janssen (2003-2007) for third in the program record book.
- Olivia boosted her team-high singles win total to nine and has 22 career singles wins as only a sophomore.
- McConnell continued to shine at No. 5 singles, upping her record to 3-1 in four matches this spring.
Valpo (6-10, 1-2 MVC) will play two home matches next weekend to close out the regular season, starting on Saturday, April 17 at 3 p.m. vs. Illinois State.