The Valparaiso University tennis team enjoyed a Flight 1 doubles triumph and a pair of singles successes on Friday as the Beacons began competition at the Redbird Invite, hosted by Illinois State University in Normal, Ill. Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) moved into a tie for second in program history in career doubles wins.
How It Happened
- Valpo’s top doubles tandem of Claire and Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) advanced to the semifinals in Flight 1 doubles by besting Weise/Desmarais of Marquette 8-5 in the opening round.
- In Flight 2 singles, Olivia punched her ticket to the semifinals by earning a three-set win over Illinois State’s Alexandra Abyasova. Olivia took the opening set in a 6-0 whitewash before dropping the second 4-6 and battling her way to a 10-8 victory in the third set tiebreak.
- Mia Bertino (Lockport, Ill. / Joliet Catholic) prevailed in a tightly-contested, three-set showdown with Laura Fitzgerald of Illinois State in Flight 7 singles to advance to Saturday’s semifinals. Bertino garnered a 7-5, 4-6, 12-10 triumph.
- Valpo incurred an extremely narrow defeat in Flight 4 doubles as Demi Jhaveri (Westlake, Ohio / Westlake) and Allison McConnell (Westland, Mich. / Churchill) lost on a tiebreak 8-7(4) to a University of Chicago tandem.
Inside the Match
- Claire’s doubles win was the 54th of her career as she moved into a tie for second in program history with Whitney Chada (2003-2007). The next time the Czerwonka sisters win a doubles match, Claire will tie the program record held by Mara Sonkin (55, 2000-2004).
- Olivia upped her career total to 26 singles victories and 27 doubles triumphs.
- Bertino’s win represented the eighth of her young collegiate career. The victory came over Fitzgerald, who was an All-MVC performer in doubles last season.
- The Czerwonka sisters topped a tandem comprised of two Big East All-Academic Team honorees from last season.
The tournament will continue on Saturday, Sept. 18 in Normal, Ill.