The Valparaiso University tennis team continued a successful fall season on Friday at the ITA Midwest Regional hosted by the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. A solid performance was highlighted by the play of Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy), who won a pair of singles matches to advance to the Round of 32. In addition, Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) tied the program record for career doubles wins.
How It Happened
- Olivia and Claire Czerwonka advanced to the Round of 32 in the singles draw by topping the Northern Illinois pair of Rakita/Dimitiev 8-5.
- Olivia earned a pair of victories in singles play, first topping Grace Whitney of Eastern Michigan in straight sets 6-1, 6-3 in the Round of 128. She followed with a 6-7(7), 6-4, 7-5 win over ninth-seeded Rachel Papavasilopoulos of Eastern Illinois in the Round of 64, rallying from a set down after losing a tight opening set.
- After falling to Illinois State in the main draw Round of 128, Claire bounced back with a three-set win over Ines Iglesias from Bowling Green in the consolation draw. Claire prevailed 6-4, 3-6, 10-6. Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) also garnered a victory by default in consolation play.
- Schoolcraft and Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) had a first-round bye and will play in the Round of 32 in doubles.
Inside the Match
- Olivia’s victory over Papavasilopoulos came over the 2019 Ohio Valley Conference Player of the Year and a two-time first team All-OVC selection.
- Olivia’s second win of the day marked her 30th career singles win and helped her climb to 6-0 this fall.
- Claire’s doubles win was the 55th of her collegiate career, moving her into a tie for the program record held by Mara Sonkin (2000-2004). With her next doubles victory, Claire will become the program recordholder.
- Olivia has 28 career doubles victories.
- Claire’s singles victory was the 47th of her career, eighth in program history and two away from moving into a tie for seventh.
The ITA Midwest Regional will continue on Saturday. Olivia will play in the Round of 32 main draw, while Claire and Schoolcraft both play consolation bracket singles matches. In doubles, Schoolcraft/Tabanera and Czerwonka/Czerwonka will both play Round of 32 doubles main draw matches, while Jhaveri/McConnell will play a doubles consolation match.