The Valparaiso University track & field team completed the first event of the outdoor season on Saturday, as the bulk of the team engaged in its first competition since the indoor conference championships at the Redbird Invite, hosted by Illinois State in Normal. The Beacons had several athletes notch personal bests.
How It Happened
- Freshman Nehemiah Ray (Chicago, Ill. / Brother Rice) sped to a second-place time of 22.38 in the 200-meter dash.
- Valpo received a personal best from Ignacio Veloz Bonilla (San Juan, P.R. / American Military Academy) in the 1500-meter run as he completed the event in 4:00.15 to place 11th.
- Another PR came courtesy of Brady Southern (Fishers, Ind. / Hamilton Southeastern), whose 3000-steeplechase time of 10:11.75 helped him place fourth in that event.
- Tommy Palmer delivered a third-place heave of 44.79 in the javelin, while Tristan Malatlian (Pfafftown, N.C. / Reagan) placed fifth in the pole vault by clearing 4.60 meters.
- In addition, Eddie Juszczak (Lowell, Ind. / Lowell) boasted a top-10 finish in the discus at 43.07 (10th).
- In the men’s hurdles, Ethan Litavecz (Highland, Ind. / Highland) completed the 110 in 16.06 seconds to place sixth.
- On the women’s side, Grace Aurand (Highland, Ind. / Highland) was 11th in the 1500-meter run at 4:46.08, while Michelle Pierce (Indianapolis, Ind. / Heritage) paced the team with a 11.16m heave in the shot put to finish 12th.
The Beacons will next be in action on Friday, April 8 to begin the Illini Classic in Champaign, Ill.