Valparaiso (3-7, 0-0 Horizon)
at SIU-Edwardsville (3-6, 0-0 Ohio Valley)
Game #11 - Saturday, December 20 - 2:00 p.m. CT
Vadalabene Center (4,000) - Edwardsville, Ill.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: Valparaiso heads south for its penultimate game of the 2014 calendar year. The Crusaders seek their first victory in the month of December as SIU-Edwardsville returns home following a 69-47 loss to Northern Illinois on Wednesday evening in DeKalb. A win Saturday would represent the Brown and Gold’s first in the state of Illinois since January 22nd, 2011, when they handed Loyola (Chicago) a 65-58 defeat in the Windy City.
Last Time Out: For the second straight game, Valpo couldn’t recover from a strong start from its opponents. Illinois raced out to an 18-0 lead en route to an 80-58 triumph over the Crusaders at the ARC. The Brown and Gold responded well in the second half - even outscoring the Illini 39-37 - but it was too little, too late. Freshman Dani Franklin was 8-for-12 from the field as her 18 points led Valparaiso in scoring for the fourth time this season.
Following the Crusaders: Audio - Valpo Sports Radio Network (WVUR, 95.1 FM, Valparaiso) - Tommy Mantice (PxP), Brandon Vickrey (Color). Free Video - Ohio Valley Conference Digital Network. Links for the audio, video, and live stats are available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, ValpoGameday.com is a one-stop shop for live video, stats and social media interaction, all on the same page.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (20-52) is in her third season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2014-15. She collected her 250th career victory on November 14th, 2014 after a 91-57 walloping of Butler. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999- 2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-03. Series Notes: Valpo and SIU-Edwardsville have met just twice with both sides winning a contest. The Crusaders won the first-ever matchup on Nov. 18th, 2009 at the ARC. The teams met two years later in Edwardsville with the Cougars claiming a 67-64 overtime thriller at the Vadalabene Center.
- Only one of Valpo’s ten games thus far has been decided by fewer than 15 points.
- Opponents have made 12 or more three-pointers four times in their last seven games versus Valpo.
- SIU-Edwardsville was 0-for-6 beyond the arc Wednesday night versus Northern Illinois.
- The Crusaders have allowed 80 or more points in their last six games.
- @ValpoWBB closed out the 2013-14 slate with a 6-25 overall record, 3-13 in the Horizon League.
- @ValpoWBB was picked to finish eighth in the Horizon League in the 2014-15 Preseason Poll.
- @ValpoWBB’s Abby Dean has a 1.6 assist-to-turnover ratio on the road.
- @ValpoWBB’s Dani Franklin has put up double-digit points in all but one game this season (Dec. 3rd at Miami).
- After tallying just 13 steals in its first five games, @ValpoWBB has amassed 26 thefts in its last six tilts.
- @SIUECougarsWB finished 2013-14 with an 11-19 overall record, and a 7-9 mark in the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC).
- @SIUECougarsWB closed out last year with six wins in its final seven regular season games.
- @SIUECougarsWB made the transition from Division II to Division I beginning in the 2008-09 season.
- @SIUECougarsWB lost to UIC 63-52 in Chicago on Dec. 3rd.
- @SIUECougarsWB leads the OVC in free-throw shooting (71.1%).
- @SIUECougarsWB’s Tierny Austin (12.8 PPG), Shronda Butts (12.3 PPG), and Gwen Adams (11.3 PPG) are all averaging in double figures.
- Austin enters Saturday’s game with 994 career points.
- @SIUECougarsWB’sPaula Buscher is in her third season as head coach.
- Buscher logged her 500th game as a head coach this season versus Drake (Nov. 20th).
- Has distributed eight assists (career-high) twice in the last three games (vs. Tulsa, vs. Illinois).
- Recorded game highs in points (16) and assists (6) to lead Valpo to a 79-61 win versus Tennessee Tech on Nov. 22nd.
- Registered a career-high 21 points on 9-of-11 shooting vs. Butler on Nov. 14th.
- Led the Brown and Gold in free-throw shooting (85.2%) last year.
- Scored 11 points in her Crusader debut vs. Butler on Nov. 14th.
- Averages 21.6 minutes off the bench for Valpo.
- Made her collegiate debut at South Dakota and knocked down her first - and only - three-point attempt.
- Saw a season-high 20 minutes Wednesday at South Dakota.
- Was a perfect 2-for-2 from the field vs. Butler in her Crusader debut.
- Owns the team’s best assist-to-turnover ratio (1.3).
- Finished a point shy of her career-high at NIU as she guided Valpo with 17 points on 4-of-5 shooting from three-point range.
- Valpo’s top scorer (13.3 PPG) and field goal shooter (48.2%).
- Named Horizon League Freshman of the Week twice (11/24, 12/15).
- Recorded her first career double-double (13 pts., 12 rebs) at NIU.
- Listed as questionable (ankle).
- Tallied eight double-doubles in 2013-14.
- Posted a career-high 25 points at Cleveland State on 2/13/14.
- Valpo’s leading rebounder (6.8 RPG) and shot blocker (5).
- Has started all ten games to open her Crusader career.
- Ripped down 14 rebounds to go with nine points at NIU.
- Was 4-of-6 from the floor and had 9 boards vs. Illinois last Saturday..
- Has scored at least eight points in four consecutive games.
- Secured ten boards at Akron.
- Listed as day-to-day (back).
- Canned multiple three-pointers in 13 games last season.
- Valpo welcomes four new faces (all freshmen) to its team this season.
- Valparaiso boasts players from seven different states and two countries.
- The Crusaders possess five players 6’0’’ or taller.