Purdue-Calumet (11-2, 5-0 CCAC)
at Valparaiso (3-8, 0-0 Horizon)
Game #12 - Tuesday, December 30 - 7:05 p.m. CT
Athletics-Recreation Center (5,000) - Valparaiso, Ind.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: The sun may be setting on 2014, but the Crusaders have one more date circled on this year’s calendar as they welcome Purdue-Calumet to the ARC on Tuesday night at 7:05 pm. The Peregrines are flying high in part because their high-octane offense ranks 3rd in scoring in NAIA Division II.
Last Time Out: Jessica Carr and Anne Hamilton assembled a pair of stellar halves last Saturday in Edwardsville, but the Cougars rallied from a 32-28 halftime deficit to collect a 77-65 win over the Brown and Gold at the Vadalabene Center. After Hamilton knocked down four triples as part of a 16-point first half, Carr recorded 16 of her career-high 22 points in the second half. Dani Franklin chipped in 10 points, but the Crusaders couldn’t overcome a 55-38 rebounding shortfall.
Following the Crusaders: Audio - Valpo Sports Radio Network (WVUR, 95.1 FM, Valparaiso) - Brandon Vickrey (PxP), Renee’ Turpa (Color). Video - ESPN3.com. Links for the audio, video, and live stats are available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, ValpoGameday.com is a one-stop shop for live video, stats and social media interaction, all on the same page.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (20-53) is in her third season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2014-15. She collected her 250th career victory on November 14th, 2014 after a 91-57 walloping of Butler. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999-2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-03.
Series Notes: Valpo is 5-5 all-time versus Purdue-Calumet in a series that began in the 1975-76 season. The Crusaders are 5-1 in games played at the Athletics-Recreation Center. The Brown and Gold came away with a 76-59 win in the most recent meeting held on Nov. 14, 2012 in Valparaiso.
- Head coach Tracey Dorow’s second win at Valparaiso came at the hands of Purdue-Calumet (Nov. 14, 2012).
- The Brown and Gold’s last loss versus a non D-I opponent came on Jan. 5th, 1988 at Indiana Tech. Their last home loss against such a team occurred on Feb. 3rd, 1987 (Saint Francis, Ill.).
- Over the last ten seasons, the Crusaders are 7-3 in their final game of a calendar year.
- @ValpoWBB closed out the 2013-14 slate with a 6-25 overall record, 3-13 in the Horizon League.
- @ValpoWBB was picked to finish eighth in the Horizon League in the 2014-15 Preseason Poll.
- @ValpoWBB’s Dani Franklin has put up double-digit points in all but one game this season (Dec. 3rd at Miami).
- @ValpoWBB is 4-13 in the month of December under Tracey Dorow.
- @Purduecalsports finished 2013-14 with a 25-7 overall record, and a 15-2 mark in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC).
- @Purduecalsports is ranked 11th nationally in NAIA Division II.
- @Purduecalsports is riding a five-game winning streak.
- @Purduecalsports has four players averaging double-digit points (Buggs, 17.2; Deno, 17.0; McBee, 14.6; Graber, 12.6).
- @Purduecalsports has four players with 10 or more blocked shots.
- @Purduecalsports’ Patrice McBee leads the nation in field goal percentage (68.3).
- @Purduecalsports’ Jada Buggs is shooting better from the field (51.4%) than she is from the free-throw line (47.9%).
- @Purduecalsports has a +200 aggregate scoring margin (1133-933) through its first 13 games.
- @Purduecalsports’ Tom Megyesi is in his 8th season as head coach.
- Megyesi was named CCAC and NAIA Region IV Coach of the Year following last season.
- @Purduecalsports is on its way to its fourth consecutive 20-win season under Megyesi.
- Notched career highs in points (22), rebounds (8), and field goals made (8) at SIU-Edwardsville on Dec. 20th.
- Has distributed at least seven assists three times in the last four games.
- Recorded game highs in points (16) and assists (6) to lead Valpo to a 79-61 win versus Tennessee Tech on Nov. 22nd.
- Registered a career-high 21 points on 9-of-11 shooting vs. Butler on Nov. 14th.
- Led the Brown and Gold in free-throw shooting (85.2%) last year.
- Scored 11 points in her Crusader debut vs. Butler on Nov. 14th.
- Made her collegiate debut at South Dakota (Dec. 9) and knocked down her first - and only - three-point attempt.
- Nailed four treys as part of a 16-point first half at SIU-Edwardsville on Dec. 20th.
- Was a perfect 2-for-2 from the field vs. Butler in her Crusader debut.
- Owns the team’s best assist-to-turnover ratio (1.2).
- Finished a point shy of her career-high at NIU (Nov. 20) as she guided Valpo with 17 points on 4-of-5 shooting from three-point range.
- Valpo’s top scorer (13.0 PPG) and field goal shooter (47.5%).
- Named Horizon League Freshman of the Week twice (11/24, 12/15).
- Recorded her first career double-double (13 pts., 12 rebs) at NIU.
- Listed as questionable (ankle).
- Tallied eight double-doubles in 2013-14.
- Valpo’s leading rebounder (6.7 RPG) and shot blocker (8).
- Has started all eleven games to open her Crusader career.
- Ripped down 14 rebounds to go with nine points at NIU.
- Was 4-of-6 from the floor and had 9 boards vs. Illinois.
- Secured ten boards at Akron.
- Out indefinitely (back).
- Canned multiple three-pointers in 13 games last season.
- Valpo welcomes four new faces (all freshmen) to its team this season.
- Valparaiso boasts players from seven different states and two countries.
- The Crusaders possess five players 6’0’’ or taller.