The Valparaiso University women’s golf team started its 2017 spring campaign in the sunshine of Port St. Lucie, Fla. on Friday. The Crusaders are in 11th of 12 after posting a two-round score of 687 on the first day of competition at the Ball State Sunshine Invitational. The team scored a 348 in the opening round before improving to a 339 in the second 18 holes.
How It Happened
- Senior Angie Kim (Schaumberg, Ill. / Fremd) led the way on the opening day of competition, posting a 163. She stroked an 80 in the first round before registering an 83 in round two. Kim is tied for 18th individually.
- Katie Willenbrink (Mishawaka, Ind. / Penn) had the second-best day of any Crusader and is tied for 44th overall at 172. Willenbrink stroked an 85 in the first round before carding an 87 in Round 2.
- Madison McCreary (Batesville, Ind. / Batesville) stands third on the team and tied for 52nd overall at 175.
- Kylie Shoemake (Schererville, Ind. / Lake Central) contributed a 177, making a drastic improvement with an 81 in Round 2 following a 96 in the opening round.
- Sydney Shrum (Cloverdale, Ind. / Cloverdale) turned in a 192 and enters the final round in 66th overall.
Inside the Rounds
- The Crusaders are 16 strokes ahead of Lipscomb for 11th in the standings. They are 10 strokes behind Drake (677) for 10th and 12 in back of ninth-place IUPUI.
- Valpo posted 60 pars and six birdies on the day.
- This marked the first day of competition under first-year head coach Jon Haas.
The Ball State Sunshine Invitational will continue with Day 2 on Saturday in Port St. Lucie, Fla. The Crusaders will compete in 18 holes to round out the event at St. Lucie Trail Golf Club. A link to live results can be found on ValpoAthletics.com.