The Valparaiso University women’s golf team opened up play at the Bradley Coyote Creek Classic on Saturday, a two-day, 54-hole event hosted by the Braves at the par-72, 6019-yard Coyote Creek Golf Club in Bartonville, Ill. Valpo’s top two performers were both freshmen as Madison Keil (LaGrange, Ind. / Lakeland) and Anna Fay (Ada, Mich. / Forest Hills) accounted for the team’s best Day-1 scores.
How It Happened
- Keil and Fay shared the team lead through one round, as both rookies posted 77s over the first 18 holes. Keil followed with an 80 in Round 2, while Fay posted an 82. Keil finished the day at 157 (+13, t-41), with Fay close behind at 159 (+15, t-45).
- Payton Hodson (Middleton, Wis. / Middleton) posted the team’s best second-round score by carding a 78 in the afternoon 18. That represented a four-stroke improvement from her morning performance and allowed the senior to finish the day at 160 (+16, t-48).
- The Beacons closed out the first 36 holes at 614 (+65) to rank 10th on the team leaderboard, one stroke ahead of Western Michigan and 14 ahead of Chicago State. Valpo started the day with a 316 in Round 1 before posting a 325 in Round 2.
- With 18 holes remaining, Xavier holds the top team score at 578 and accounts for the top individual – Emma McMyler at 136 (-8).
Inside the Rounds
- Keil’s Round-1 score of 77 was a seven-stroke improvement from her most recent tournament round, the final 18 at the Butler Fall Invitational this week.
- Keil enjoyed her third round of 77 or better this season, while Fay achieved her fourth round of 77 or lower.
- The Beacons had 11 birdies, led by Fay with six.
Thoughts from Head Coach Jill McCoy
“The course was a little tough today. I’m hoping for an improvement tomorrow. Madison played well even with a wrist injury. I’m very proud of her for fighting her way back from her last tournament round.”
The Bradley Coyote Creek Classic will conclude on Sunday at Coyote Creek GC in Bartonville, Ill. Play will get underway with an 8:30 a.m. CT shotgun start. A link to live scoring via BirdieFire is available on ValpoAthletics.com.