The Valpo softball team closed out the road portion of its 2021 regular season schedule on Sunday in Carbondale, Ill., falling 8-0 to host Southern Illinois.
How It Happened
- Valpo threatened in the top of the first inning, as junior Jaina Westphal (Waterford, Wis./Burlington) led off the game with a single, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt and stole third with two outs before being stranded after a strikeout.
- SIU took the lead in the bottom of the second on a two-run homer from Elisabeth Huckleberry.
- The Salukis then scored their final six runs in the bottom of the fourth, including Huckleberry’s second homer of the game, a three-run round-tripper.
Inside the Game
- Junior Peyton Moeder (Shawnee, Kan./Mill Valley) went 1-for-2 at the plate Sunday to close out a weekend in which she went 5-for-8.
- Freshman Regi Hecker (Lee’s Summit, Mo./Blue Springs South) also picked up a base hit in the series finale in addition to Westphal’s base knock, while junior Taylor Herschbach (Lockport, Ill./Lockport Township) reached via a hit by pitch.
Valpo kicks off its final series of the regular season at the Valpo Softball Complex on Friday afternoon as it takes on Illinois State. First pitch of the doubleheader is scheduled for noon.