A win over host Youngstown State highlighted the Valpo bowling team’s second day of competition at the MOTIV Penguin Classic on Saturday from Struthers, Ohio.
How It Happened
- Valpo came within a single pin of springing an upset in Saturday’s opener, falling to #3 Nebraska by an 873-872 final. Bowling in the traditional team format, senior Noelle Doody (Tinley Park, Ill./Andrew) led the way for the Beacons in the first match with a 196 game.
- Freshman Jenn Patz (Naples, Fla./Naples) paced Valpo in its second match, rolling a 191 as the Beacons lost 904-881 to Aurora.
- Sophomore Lilu Smith (Gahanna, Ohio/Lincoln) hit 200 in the third match slot to lead the Beacons as they fell to #RV Mercyhurst, 1061-888.
- The fourth match of the day brought Valpo’s victory over #9 Youngstown State, as the Beacons downed the Penguins by a 966-935 final. Doody took top honors in that match with a 226 game, while junior Isabella Palamaro (Thiells, N.Y./North Rockland) posted a 223 and Smith a 209.
- Valpo dropped its final match of the day, 990-857 to #13 Duquesne despite Palamaro rolling a 214.
- Valpo ended the day with 8,996 total pins over the first two days of action to sit in 11th place entering Sunday.
Valpo (4-6) will close out its season-opening tournament on Sunday with the third and final day of competition. The day, which will feature three more traditional team matches and one best-of-seven baker match, begins at 7:25 a.m. CT.