The Valpo bowling team concluded a successful opening weekend at the Penguin Classic in Struthers, Ohio on Sunday with another strong set of matches, finishing the weekend in fifth place.
How It Happened
- The day’s first three matches were conducted in the five-game baker format, against the three squads each team had not faced in the tournament’s first two days. Valpo opened play Sunday against #RV Lewis and pulled out a 946-931 victory.
- A matchup against tournament host #6 Youngstown State was next on the docket, and while the Beacons posted their best score of the day, it wasn’t quite enough as they dropped a 1082-1005 decision.
- Pool play closed out for Valpo on a winning note, as the Beacons took down #19 Central Missouri by a 922-893 final.
- The tournament concluded with one positioning match, contested in the best-of-seven baker format, and it took Valpo the minimum four games as it avenged its Saturday loss to #RV Niagara with a clean 4-0 sweep of the Purple Eagles. The Beacons posted a score of 190 or better in all four games and won all four games by at least 20 pins.
- The win over Niagara secured Valpo’s fifth-place tournament finish. The Beacons ended up just 31 pins away from earning a spot in the third/fourth place match.
Valpo (9-4) comes home for its next tournament, as the program hosts the Valpo Bowling Classic at Stardust Bowl III in Dyer Oct. 27-29.