The Valpo bowling team enjoyed a strong start to the 2023-24 campaign Friday on the first day of competition at the Penguin Classic in Struthers, Ohio, coming a handful of pins away from posting a perfect record.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the day’s action, contested in the five-game baker format, against #16 Mercyhurst and picked up a victory to start things out, edging the Lakers by a 943-934 final. The nine-pin margin of victory is tied for fifth-closest in a five-game baker match in program history.
- The Beacons followed that narrow win by breaking 1,000 pins in back-to-back victories. The first triumph came over a St. Francis (Pa.) squad receiving votes in the national top-25 poll, as Valpo prevailed 1001-912.
- The third match slot brought a 1011-880 victory for Valpo over Bryant, while the Beacons had a bye in the fourth match slot, posting a 943 score.
- The quest for a perfect day one came up eight pins short, as Wright State nipped the Beacons, 938-930, in the day’s finale.
- Valpo closed the opening day of competition in fourth place of the 13 competing teams, tallying a total pinfall of 4,828 pins through five matches.
Valpo (3-1) continues action from the Penguin Classic on Saturday at 8:25 a.m. CT. Day two will feature five traditional team matches.