The #20 Valpo bowling team closed out the Flyer Classic Sunday in Romeoville, Ill. with its third winning record in as many days, finishing the tournament in 11th place out of 20 competing teams.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened bracket play, contested in the best-of-seven baker format, against Alabama A&M. After the squads split the first two games, the Beacons took game three and then used a 217 in game four to go up 3-1 in the match.
- Valpo rolled a 200 in game five, but it wasn’t enough to close the match, as the Bulldogs posted a 217 to extend the match. The Beacons claimed game six to finish it out by a 4-2 final and advance up the bracket.
- The win moved Valpo into a matchup against Marian. The teams split the first two games before Marian won games three and four to take a 3-1 lead.
- The Beacons put together their two best games of the day to extend the match, rolling a 257 in game five and a 227 in game six to force a decisive seventh game. Valpo kept its strong scoring going in the seventh game, putting up a 206, but Marian rolled a 238 to take the 4-3 match victory.
- The loss meant Valpo dropped into a matchup versus #15 UW-Whitewater for 11th Each team won two of the first four games, and while Valpo tallied a 207 in game five, the Warhawks posted a 222 to take the 3-2 lead in the match.
- The Beacons came right back with a 224 in game six to extend the match to a seventh game, and then finished things off with a six-pin victory in the finale to earn the 4-3 win.
Valpo (47-29) was originally scheduled to compete next at the Big Red Invitational, but it was announced earlier this month that tournament had been canceled for this year. The Beacons’ next scheduled competition is March 15-17 at the Vanderbilt Music City Classic.