The Valpo bowling team kicked off its annual home tournament on Friday, finishing the first day of action at the Valpo Bowling Classic in Dyer, Ind. in fourth place out of the 17 competing teams.
How It Happened
- The Beacons opened Friday’s action, contested in the five-game baker format, against Baldwin Wallace and rolled to an 890-674 victory right out of the gate.
- Valpo posted its highest match score of the day in the second match slot, taking down Kentucky Wesleyan by a 995-865 final.
- With an odd number of teams in the tournament field, the Beacons drew a bye in the third match slot, rolling an 874.
- Valpo took its first defeat in its next match, falling 924-824 to #9 Maryville, but rebounded in the day’s final match with a 959-934 win over Wright State.
- The Beacons closed the day in fourth place out of the 17 competing teams, tallying a total pinfall of 4,542 pins. #13 Newman sits atop the team standings with 4,760 pins.
Valpo (12-5) welcomes teams back to the lanes at Stardust Bowl III on Saturday with a 9 a.m. start. Saturday’s action will be contested in the traditional team format.