The Valpo bowling team closed out its season-opening tournament Sunday, competing in the final four matches at the MOTIV Penguin Classic in Struthers, Ohio, hosted by Youngstown State.
How It Happened
- The first three of Sunday’s four matches were traditional team matches to close out the full single round-robin against each of the tournament’s other 13 foes. Valpo opened the day against #19 Morgan State, falling 908-879 despite a team-best 201 game from sophomore Lilu Smith (Gahanna, Ohio/Lincoln).
- Smith led the way in the Beacons’ next match as well, rolling a 239 as Valpo took down Wright State by an 883-835 final.
- The final traditional match was a 961-941 setback against #RV Medaille. That contest saw senior Noelle Doody (Tinley Park, Ill./Andrew) roll Valpo’s best individual game of the weekend as she posted a 248.
- The last match of the tournament was a best-of-seven baker match against an adjoining team in the tournament standings to determine final positioning. Valpo paired up against Wright State, but was unable to take down the Raiders, as WSU won the first two games of the matchup and never trailed en route to a 4-2 win.
- The Beacons finished the tournament in 12th Smith posted Valpo’s top individual average, registering a 197.4 over the eight traditional team games Saturday and Sunday.
Valpo (5-9) will take next weekend off from competition before hosting the Valpo Bowling Class at Stardust Bowl III in Dyer, Ind. Oct. 28-30.