The Valpo bowling program continued hosting the Valpo Bowling Classic Saturday at Stardust Bowl III in Dyer, winning four of its five traditional team matches.
How It Happened
- Valpo dropped its opening match of the day to #15 Maryville, 986-837, but that proved to be the Beacons’ lone defeat of the day as they ran off four consecutive victories.
- First up was a 926-821 win over Belmont Abbey, with sophomore Alli Eible (Burton, Mich./Kearsley) rolling a team-high 224 and freshman Jen Patz (Naples, Fla./Naples) posting a 203.
- Eible recorded the team’s best single-game score of the day in the third match slot, leading the way with a 229 in a 936-913 victory over Tusculum.
- Sophomore Lilu Smith (Gahanna, Ohio/Lincoln) registered a 227 and Patz a 201 as Valpo cruised to a 974-710 win over Carroll.
- The day ended on a winning note, with Smith rolling a team-best 208 in a 928-747 win over Elmhurst.
- Valpo maintained its sixth-place position in the team standings with 9,093 total pins. For the second straight day, Maryville remained atop the team standings.
- Individually, Smith finished just outside the top-10 with a 194.6 average while Eible averaged 192.0 over the five matches.
Valpo (10-14) closes out the Valpo Bowling Classic on Sunday, with three best-of-seven Baker bracket matches starting at 9:30 a.m. The Beacons match up against fifth-seeded Marian in the first match of the day and can finish as high as third place.